Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Must have upgrades for street/strip 4l80e

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Must have upgrades for street/strip 4l80e

ok so I'm finally going to an automatic. i have a 06 4l80e, reverse is out of it, no big deal its getting rebuilt anyways and i only paid 100 bucks for it.

background on the car, through the m6 is was at 450rwhp and 445rwtq but i know autos suck up more hp, not a big deal, its about e.t. numbers for me. I'm making a few changes, a custom cam, bigger headers, retune. also its getting a 300 shot. either two stage or progressive, unsure yet.

so what are the must have upgrades for this to hold up. Also I'm going with a full manual valve body. I know you need a good converter, i haven't decided on what company yet. i know a good transmission cooler and deep pan is basically a must. i will also have a temp gauge.

now i know i need a rebuilt kit. I'm guessing alto reds and koleen steels? upgrade to a 34 sprag? should i upgrade the drum or input shaft? replace the front pump? this is the type of info i need.

the car sees more street time then track time. i might go a handful of times per year and this isn't my daily driver. thanks for you input.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 06-10-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sorry, it seems that the 4L80E experts are on sabbatical this summer.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i prefer borgwarner over the reds..the sprag will have trouble maybe at around 700hp behind a car aswell as the stock input shaft..all 80e come with 34 element sprag the only upgrade there is is the 36 element with the superdrum witch is expensive..a good well built stock unit with a shiftkit and dual feed mods should hold a good 700-800 to the tires in a car
Old 06-11-2015, 02:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Sorry, it seems that the 4L80E experts are on sabbatical this summer.

Originally Posted by GMCSIERRA5.3
i prefer borgwarner over the reds..the sprag will have trouble maybe at around 700hp behind a car aswell as the stock input shaft..all 80e come with 34 element sprag the only upgrade there is is the 36 element with the superdrum witch is expensive..a good well built stock unit with a shiftkit and dual feed mods should hold a good 700-800 to the tires in a car
What is the dual feed mod?
Old 06-11-2015, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hit up jakes performance and get there stage 2 rebuild kit..that has all the instructions on how to build the 80e for a good 700hp also shows you how to do the dual feed and has acouple other little tricks
Old 06-11-2015, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check this thread out theres acouple pictures for the dual feed mod...http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...l-feed-535430/
Old 06-11-2015, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Yea, I would call a shop and talk to someone. My trans is built by North Texas Converter.

I can tell you I have a billet input, billet intermediate shaft, trans brake, modified valve body, 36 element aluminum super drum, billet intermediate pressure plate, billet overdrive carrier, and i am sure a whole bunch of other mods that I am not aware of.

I do however make over 1000rwhp and shooting for 1400rwhp in the next few weeks.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just wanted to keep the same thread but what shifters will fit in a m6 console? I would like to keep it if I can.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
ok so I'm finally going to an automatic. i have a 06 4l80e, reverse is out of it, no big deal its getting rebuilt anyways and i only paid 100 bucks for it.

background on the car, through the m6 is was at 450rwhp and 445rwtq but i know autos suck up more hp, not a big deal, its about e.t. numbers for me. I'm making a few changes, a custom cam, bigger headers, retune. also its getting a 300 shot. either two stage or progressive, unsure yet.

so what are the must have upgrades for this to hold up. Also I'm going with a full manual valve body. I know you need a good converter, i haven't decided on what company yet. i know a good transmission cooler and deep pan is basically a must. i will also have a temp gauge.

now i know i need a rebuilt kit. I'm guessing alto reds and koleen steels? upgrade to a 34 sprag? should i upgrade the drum or input shaft? replace the front pump? this is the type of info i need.

the car sees more street time then track time. i might go a handful of times per year and this isn't my daily driver. thanks for you input.
Deep pan is not basically a must, but go ahead if you would like, no real harm aside from less clearance.

Not Alto Reds and not Kolene steels. Factory Borg Warner Hi Energy frictions and plain, factory steels will be more than suitable.

34 sprag is standard equipment on most 4L80Es. It would be nice to have an upgraded solution on every build, but it's costly. You will *probably* be fine without upgrading it.

With a 300 shot, a billet input shaft and a billet forward hub are a must.

Why do you want a FMVB?

The front pump is not likely to need replacing. A few hydraulic mods and an upgraded boost valve, as well as wet stoning the surface are recommended. Same with the valve body and case VB faces.

Dual feed the 3rd gear clutches. You can do it better than TransGo's kit. Hydraulic mods will be key
Old 06-19-2015, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

I built a 4L80E earlier this year with the intention of putting it behind an 800hp turbo motor but it will be going behind my LQ9 instead. I put a full set of alto power packs in mine but I don't think you'll need them.

But with the nitrous on your's you'll want to be running a billet front hub and hard input shaft - but stock frictions should be OK. You might want to fit a wider carbon band as well - post 99 style.

I bought the parts for mine from PATC, but I know that Jakes get a lot of positive feedback - if you are thinking of manual VB then I'd speak to Jakes....
Old 06-20-2015, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
Deep pan is not basically a must, but go ahead if you would like, no real harm aside from less clearance.

Not Alto Reds and not Kolene steels. Factory Borg Warner Hi Energy frictions and plain, factory steels will be more than suitable.

34 sprag is standard equipment on most 4L80Es. It would be nice to have an upgraded solution on every build, but it's costly. You will *probably* be fine without upgrading it.

With a 300 shot, a billet input shaft and a billet forward hub are a must.

Why do you want a FMVB?

The front pump is not likely to need replacing. A few hydraulic mods and an upgraded boost valve, as well as wet stoning the surface are recommended. Same with the valve body and case VB faces.

Dual feed the 3rd gear clutches. You can do it better than TransGo's kit. Hydraulic mods will be key
Where can I find these hydraulic mods? I want a fmvb just because I like the idea of still shifting it I guess lol.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
I just wanted to keep the same thread but what shifters will fit in a m6 console? I would like to keep it if I can.
Bump.

Quick Reply: Must have upgrades for street/strip 4l80e