Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help troubleshooting wife's DD

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help troubleshooting wife's DD

So I need a little assistance from the A/T experts around these parts.

I recently bought a used minivan for the wife. It is an '03, but with only 38k miles on it.

Now that we have had some time to drive it, I notice that it has a strange problem shifting from 1st to 2nd. It acts like it is hesitating (i.e., upshift/downshift/upshift) to get into 2nd gear. Because this up/down hesitation happens so quickly (<2-3 seconds), the car lurches badly while it's trying to shift.

Now here is the part that utterly confuses me. It only does it when driving between 1500-1900 RPM. If you slowly cruise at 1400 RPM, then it shifts perfectly smooth.....and the same if you are at or above 2000 RPM.

I already dropped the pan, changed the trans. filter and replaced the fluid w/ Synthetic ATF.

Can anyone please give me a few more ideas to try and kill this problem? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well I see you mention its a mini van and year but what kind?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well I see you mention its a mini van and year but what kind?
Chrysler Town & Country Limited, 3.8L V6
Old 07-17-2009, 03:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Ok with those you need to have someone look at it with a scanner and also look at the CVI data. That trans is unique compared to most using a shift strategy requiring carefully overlapping gears. Also if the battery had been dead and off for a long time or any trans work dont it may require a relearn , This can be done with a scanner like the snapon , However a poor mans way is to raise wheels and run through all the gears about 100 times. Stopping running through over and over.
Also make sure you have the right mopar fluid if not get some black "LUBE GUARD" or "SMART BLEND" additive

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-17-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Those are also notorious for the solenoid packs acting goofy. Have also seen quite a few with battery acid that has damaged the harness at the transmission.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Ok with those you need to have someone look at it with a scanner and also look at the CVI data. That trans is unique compared to most using a shift strategy requiring carefully overlapping gears. Also if the battery had been dead and off for a long time or any trans work dont it may require a relearn , This can be done with a scanner like the snapon , However a poor mans way is to raise wheels and run through all the gears about 100 times. Stopping running through over and over.
Also make sure you have the right mopar fluid if not get some black "LUBE GUARD" or "SMART BLEND" additive
I'm assuming that I would have to go to a repair shop to find someone that can scan this for the CVI data?

And yes, I personally replaced the ATF fluid w/ Valvoline Synthetic (Mopar equivalent). So there shouldn't be any fluid issues....unless the book gives the wrong amount to add. I'll recheck fluid level this week just to be certain.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
Those are also notorious for the solenoid packs acting goofy. Have also seen quite a few with battery acid that has damaged the harness at the transmission.
Thanks for the tip. I'll do a thorough physical inspection this week and see if I can find any wire/harness problems that could be making the solenoid act funny.

Although, typically if it is a wire problem, then it shouldn't be so predictable with only happening in the 1500-1900 RPM range. I would think it would be more intermittent.