Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on hughes 400 w/brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question on hughes 400 w/brake

i bought a hughes built turbo 400 like 3 years ago in the early stages of building my car and just drove it out of the garage for the first time yesterday i was told by hughes that i would have to have the t brake button pressed while in reverse to get reverse to work but if i just put the shifter in reverse the car will back up...i only went about 2 feet just to be on the safe side and make sure i wasnt hurting anything i cant get the serial number off my tranny because of my tranny sheild and would really like to get this figured out before i get it tuned ,my brake is wired from direct power through the shifter then to the noid and the other side of the noid is grounded to a good ground i also did not try to put the car up on the brake in fear of hurting something can sumone help me out i would really like to not have to pull the trans and sheild out just to read sum serial numbers and try and get an answer...so to sum it up what am i suppose to do to safely use reverse and also use the t brake in the car...thanks in advance
Old 07-31-2009, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of hitting a trans brake while in reverse to get the car to back up. Trans brake should only be used at the line while you are in first gear. I recomend putting the trans brake button on the dash and not on the shifter. Reason being you don't want to accidentally hit it. Mine will be wired with and arming switch and a button to make sure it's not hit when it is not suppose to.

I'm not sure how Hughes builds theirs to work but I was told that if you are in neutral and hit the trans brake you will back up. At least thats how mine was made. It still should back up when in reverse. Maybe something's screwed up in the trans.

~Jim~
Old 07-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Teching In

There many different styles of the TH400 transbrake. I'm not familar with the Hughes style. Many TH400 brake valve bodies will back up when in neutral or reverse if you push the brake button. Many will back up in reverse without pushing the button, but there will be massive internal leak if you don't push the button. Over time this will damage the transmission.So, if Hughes told you to place the shifter in reverse and push the button, I would do that.
Once you shift out of first gear the the transbrake will not work even if you push the button. This prevents the transmission from locking up if the button is accidently pushed going down the track.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard of this, I'm curious to the answer as well.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darkhorsebob
There many different styles of the TH400 transbrake. I'm not familar with the Hughes style. Many TH400 brake valve bodies will back up when in neutral or reverse if you push the brake button. Many will back up in reverse without pushing the button, but there will be massive internal leak if you don't push the button. Over time this will damage the transmission.So, if Hughes told you to place the shifter in reverse and push the button, I would do that.
Once you shift out of first gear the the transbrake will not work even if you push the button. This prevents the transmission from locking up if the button is accidently pushed going down the track.
I run a TCI Streetfighter tranny and I also push in the button while backing up.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on the button backing up.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

yup got it figured out need to push the button while in reverse even tho it will techniclly back up with out the button tryed it out today and put it up on it works great, ive got the brake on a arming switch and also have it wired in with a diode to the line lock so the car wont creep up at all at the line and have a arming switch for the line lock so i can use the t brake to back up and then when i need to use the tbrake just flick the other switch and the brake button is also tied to my fjo controller for lock out while on the brake thanx guys for the help

Quick Reply: question on hughes 400 w/brake