Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 pumps blown, converter hub bad? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 pumps blown, converter hub bad? HELP!

Hey folks,

I'll start from the beginning. I did a simple converter swap, and when I put the converter in, I broke the pump rotor. I figured it was my fault and I bolted it in without being fully engaged.

Took it to the shop, they replaced the pump rotor for $300.

Put it all back together, drove it for 500 or so miles and one day I had no forward or reverse. Pump blew again. I took it apart and put a new rotor and accompanying parts in myself, put it back together and drove it to the shop and had the whole thing rebuilt where they replaced the rotor AGAIN. They said the rotor would not fit over the hub of my converter (PI Vig 3600) and they had to machine the hub and hammer it out because it was out of round.

Took it to the track on the new rebuilt trans, 2nd pass, blew the pump up. The shop says he really thinks the hub is screwed up and keeps messing my rotor up. I only have light bolt ons (check sig) and was making 1.9 60's, not really beating this trans up much.

What do you all think? Bad hub? Should I have the converter sent back to Vig to be re-hubbed or rebuilt? I'm not sure what the best course of action is.

Thanks to the experts!
Old 11-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Make sure your flywheels is not bent, a member broke his verter hub too due to a bent flywheel... You probably damaged the hub when the pump first went out.. You should sent it back to PI to get a new hub installed.. Good luck!
Old 11-11-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I would call precision and see what they have to say about it.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

I'm in the process of emailing PI now. I wonder what caused what, the hub caused the pump to break. The pump caused the hub to bend. A lightning bolt hit my car and caused the whole thing to explode?

I'll keep everyone updated. Feel free to offer suggestions. Has anyone ever had to have a hub replaced? Any idea of cost?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt that it's the converter. The pump rotor is brittle and the converter hub is billet steel. My bets are on a bent flexplate since this is a reoccurring issue.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Okay, so what about the shop "fixing" the hub? He said he took one of those cone shaped thingies and hammered it into round? Before that the rotor would not even fit over the hub.

I emailed PI, haven't heard back yet.

Are flexplates supposed to be perfectly flat and plumb? Or do they have a slight bend to them like the center is pushed out a bit?

Thanks a lot fellas, I appreciate your help as always.