Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t 56 to 4l80 guys trans cooler questions..

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default t 56 to 4l80 guys trans cooler questions..

I swapped from t56 to 4l80 recently. I have obviously no trans cooler in my radiator since its stock six speed radiator. I bought a trans cooler to install and wondering if the one cooler with no in rad cooler should be enough. I am running a 3400 yank converter.

So if do swap rad to bigger one should I get one with internal cooler and run both internal and external cooler?
Old 11-15-2009, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need for the radiator cooler... just install the aftermarket in a place with good air flow and itll be just fine.

IMO FWIW its better to run the external only vs radiator cooler and external.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a good cooler the one in the radiator will only heat the ATF.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well was going to go dope style maybe dual on both sides but have my blow offs in the corners so guess going to try this cylindrical 24 inch dual pass and mount it behind my air dam possibly make some holes in dam to put some more air on it.
Can monitor my trans temps so will see how it does for me. Just going to use that for now have no internal cooler as said. Then if its not enough possible series a b and m that still have ,not sure where would put that but sure can find a place for it if have to.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Well was going to go dope style maybe dual on both sides but have my blow offs in the corners so guess going to try this cylindrical 24 inch dual pass and mount it behind my air dam possibly make some holes in dam to put some more air on it.
Can monitor my trans temps so will see how it does for me. Just going to use that for now have no internal cooler as said. Then if its not enough possible series a b and m that still have ,not sure where would put that but sure can find a place for it if have to.
A couple of other options:
Look up MightyMouse he mounted his flush under the car (under the passenger seat) with a couple of stand offs.....

I saw one other guy mount it in place of the rear bumper support with a fan.