Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Pontiac Trans Am Finish Line 4L60E Tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 Pontiac Trans Am Finish Line 4L60E Tranny issue

I have 98 Trans Am I got a 4L60E Lv 4 Finish Line tranny. I went to take the car out for my Sunday drive and my speedo was not working and also I was not shifting. Any help would be great.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

You are probably in limp mode. Any codes?
Old 11-29-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like they said, any codes? Id start checkin plugs too, maybe something came loose.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Default 98 Pontiac trans am w Finish Line Lv 4 4L60E

I am pulling a P0502 code which is vehile speed sensor low output voltage. Does that have anything to do with the tranny?
Old 11-29-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

It definitely has to do with the transmission. As I understand it, the PCM uses inputs from the Vehicle Speed Sensor, the Throttle Position Sensor, and other inputs to determine when to shift. That code would definitely set limp mode and cause all the symptoms you are having IMO. I think once you get your VSS issue fixed, you should fix both the speedo and the limp mode.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

my buddy was also saying to check wheel sensors also since they arethe input for the vss
Old 11-29-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

AFIAK, the wheel speed sensors are only for the ABS and TCS/ASR. IIRC, the VSS is actually in or on the transmission, in the tailshaft housing I think.

Perhaps PerformaBuilt or FLT will chime in shortly and correct me if I am wrong (which I easily could be).
Old 11-30-2009, 12:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Without the VSS signal from the VSS sensor the trans will not shift gears, You have and electrical issue I am afraid.
It would not be the trans but rather a plug/sensor/fuse etc in the car

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-30-2009, 06:38 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Disturbedtransam
I am pulling a P0502 code which is vehile speed sensor low output voltage. Does that have anything to do with the tranny?
As Frank posted this is not an issue with the trans. It has something to do with the sensor or the wiring of it. Please get it checked out and do not drive it until you do. You could damage your transmission. The easiest thing to replace would be the sensor. I can get one sent out to you if you can not get one locally. Vince
Old 11-30-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

This post brings up something I have been wondering for a while. If I get a transmission from FLT, PerformaBuilt, or RPM, but still have a stock stall, would my car need a tune?

My stock trans is holding up just fine for now with just an intake lid as my only engine mod, but I still have an idea that with the stock 4l60e, I may be on borrowed time. If I need a trans, I will definitely go with a sponsor trans because I trust them more than I trust any of the local builders around here.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArkBird96
This post brings up something I have been wondering for a while. If I get a transmission from FLT, PerformaBuilt, or RPM, but still have a stock stall, would my car need a tune?

My stock trans is holding up just fine for now with just an intake lid as my only engine mod, but I still have an idea that with the stock 4l60e, I may be on borrowed time. If I need a trans, I will definitely go with a sponsor trans because I trust them more than I trust any of the local builders around here.
I'd probably get it tuned. Get rid of torque management, raise your shift points. If your buying a solid trans theres no reason to not spend the money on a GOOD converter while the tranny is out.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Default 98 Pontiac Trans Am Finish Line 4L60E Tranny issue

How much do the vss sensor go for? Also when you guys ship your tranny do they come with them? I had all my work done at futeral motor sports so I never saw any of the parts until I drove to pick up my car.

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
As Frank posted this is not an issue with the trans. It has something to do with the sensor or the wiring of it. Please get it checked out and do not drive it until you do. You could damage your transmission. The easiest thing to replace would be the sensor. I can get one sent out to you if you can not get one locally. Vince
Old 11-30-2009, 07:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First thing to do is make sure the wire going to the speed sensor is plugged in.It could of worked it's way out.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:48 AM
Staging Lane

Already did that it was fine. I have it up in the air on stands and still no reading of the speedo. I forgot to bring a DMM home with me from work. But I am going to try and take a look at that tommorrow.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:07 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Good advise Don. Thanks for chiming in. Checking the wires and sensor with a meter is the best thing to do first. I offered the sensor because in some cases the guy working on his own car does not even own a meter nor know how to turn it on. No offense meant.

If you need a sensor we have a bunch of new ones here that came with some new housings we bought. Not sure what they cost at the dealer but if you feel you need one just give us a call. I'm sure we will be more than fair with you. Vince

Quick Reply: 98 Pontiac Trans Am Finish Line 4L60E Tranny issue