Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Hard shift, only 1st?

Old 12-31-2009, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Hard shift, only 1st?

Just bought a 98 WS6 A4. I will be converting to M6 in the spring, untill then, I need this A4 to last.

It's stock, except exhaust and K&N panel filter. No transmissions codes, 127k on the trans. So, it shifts very hard in first, almost tire chirping hard under normal throttle. It's worse when the trans fluid is cold. The rest of the shifts are normal to soft. At first, I was thinking shift kit, but it would be alot firmer in the rest of the gears too. I am familiar with transmission problems, and i'm thinking that this is my first sign, that the trans is on it's way out.

Just looking for some input. The trans fluid is dirty, and has been changed before. Just wondering if this is a common issue with the 4L60E. Oh, and possibly a corvette servo or something, I remember hearing about that when I was working on a 4L60E for a late 90's S10.

Thanks, Matt
Old 01-01-2010, 06:40 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say 1st shift do you mean the 1-2 shift or when the trans is put into first gear?
Old 01-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Correct, the 1-2 shift is very hard, i'll look into the pcm to see if anyone has changed anything.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless it has an accumulator problem/modification or for some reason the pressures have been modified I would not suspect this if the other shifts are fairly soft. There might be an issue with a sticky 1-2 accumulator valve in the valve body or a band that slips a bit when it is applied and then suddenly grabs making the shift a bit more noticeable then the others.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Ive got a B4C LS1 A4 3:23. Ive had the car for 50k now. Trans. has 160k on it. It has always shifted harder in the 1st to 2nd shift. It snaps the shift pretty good. Kinda jerks you back a little bit. When i had shitty tires i lost traction to a point where i had to let out of it a few times on that snappy shift at WOT. I wasnt sure if it was just a B4C thing or what. From what ive heard there really wasnt any changes to the B4C trans. though. Im not sure that its a problem. Mine has been very reliable. Knock on wood.

Search this Thread