Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange transmission leak please take a look thanks.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy strange transmission leak please take a look thanks.

Alright, I was driving on the bypass around 58mph, when all of the sudden the car fills up with smoke!I look in the rear view mirror and the biggest cloud of smoke is trailing me! So I thought ok head gasket went, no thats not it,I get under the car and see the servo housing lip is cracked and tranny fluid is blowing all over the cat wtf? Did this ever happend to anyone? Do I need a whole new transmission? What would cause that to crack like that? Please help me. If someone local is selling a 4l60e trans let me know, thanks in advance to all. 98 v6 camaro auto
Old 01-23-2010, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

You will have to replace the case. We've seen this many times, and with fires as the cat is at 1600* with a flamable fluid being sprayed on it!!!!! Lucky you did not catch fire.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 382ssz28
You will have to replace the case. We've seen this many times, and with fires as the cat is at 1600* with a flamable fluid being sprayed on it!!!!! Lucky you did not catch fire.
I know! I thought is was going to catch fire and I had all three kids in the car coming back from chucky cheese lol! What do ya think I should do just get a new transmission or used one with low miles, or get just the case? ( is a case swap easy?) How much is a case and where do you buy it from?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Launching!

what cause to crack?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

I'd look into a good used Transmission.
I had a similar situation happen in my 94 Formula. I had the line pressure turned up and ajdusted the 1-2 shift accumulator with shims, And ended up blowing out the front pump due to excessive line pressure. But I was driving home 1 day, Got a couple GOOD races in , and all of a sudden I start smoking like a freight train. So I pull over and found trans fluid dripping off the back bumper and all the way up to the front of the trans. I ended up tracking down the problem and replaced the front pump and it took care of it. But anyways, I was just lucky my car did'nt catch fire either.

With that said- (just wanted to share my experience) I would definentely look at getting a new used transmission b/c I don't think that can be repaired honestly. But you can always contact a sponsor here and they will help you out. they are some good sponsors here. Performabuilt, RPM Transmissions, Finish Line transmissions, etc.

Good Luck OP!

James
Old 01-23-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Whew, glad I dont have cats anymore
Old 01-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT1Formula007
I'd look into a good used Transmission.
I had a similar situation happen in my 94 Formula. I had the line pressure turned up and ajdusted the 1-2 shift accumulator with shims, And ended up blowing out the front pump due to excessive line pressure. But I was driving home 1 day, Got a couple GOOD races in , and all of a sudden I start smoking like a freight train. So I pull over and found trans fluid dripping off the back bumper and all the way up to the front of the trans. I ended up tracking down the problem and replaced the front pump and it took care of it. But anyways, I was just lucky my car did'nt catch fire either.

With that said- (just wanted to share my experience) I would definentely look at getting a new used transmission b/c I don't think that can be repaired honestly. But you can always contact a sponsor here and they will help you out. they are some good sponsors here. Performabuilt, RPM Transmissions, Finish Line transmissions, etc.

Good Luck OP!

James
Thanks man, thats what im thinking good used one for now or should I get a performabuilt trans and converter? I talked to that guy alot, he did help me everytime I had a question hmm? Wonder if he would give me a deal since I could come pick it up?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Whew, glad I dont have cats anymore
lol!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:45 PM
10 Second Club

If it were me, I'd look into a used tranny if $ is gonna be an issue. But if this car is going to be something that you plan on keeping and $ is not an issue, then I'd look at buying a new transmission. And Performabuilt is a GREAT company when it comes to Quality and Customer Service. They are awesome!

Just my .02
Good Luck Buddy!

James
Old 01-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT1Formula007
If it were me, I'd look into a used tranny if $ is gonna be an issue. But if this car is going to be something that you plan on keeping and $ is not an issue, then I'd look at buying a new transmission. And Performabuilt is a GREAT company when it comes to Quality and Customer Service. They are awesome!

Just my .02
Good Luck Buddy!

James
yeah im keeping it forever but i might try and look for good low miles used one or if performabuilt has that layaway deal ill put like 6 or 7 hundred down then like $200 per month till paid off then go pick it up
Old 01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Launching!

what ya think new tranny time?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Just go to a reputable tranny shop and get a case, usually 75-100.00. Labor and seals shouldn't be much. This happens every now and again and is not a common occurance.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 382ssz28
Just go to a reputable tranny shop and get a case, usually 75-100.00. Labor and seals shouldn't be much. This happens every now and again and is not a common occurance.
why would I go get a case and put the guts of a transmission that has 146000 miles on it in there? Dont you think getting a used one with low miles on it is a better way to go? thanks.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hevymetalg
what cause to crack?
A servo installed wrong or too much line pressure possibly
Old 01-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

This happened to me too....I ended up having to get a whole new transmission. I put a shift kit in my car with new accumulators and a crovette servo. I drove it for 2 days hard and than on my way to school (auto class ironically) I saw smoke coming from all over. all in all in class we installed the servo wrong it didnt seat properly and took the casing off with it. Im guessing the same thing happened to you.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigbird01
This happened to me too....I ended up having to get a whole new transmission. I put a shift kit in my car with new accumulators and a crovette servo. I drove it for 2 days hard and than on my way to school (auto class ironically) I saw smoke coming from all over. all in all in class we installed the servo wrong it didnt seat properly and took the casing off with it. Im guessing the same thing happened to you.
its been in there for over a year could it still be put in wrong and still work?
Old 01-24-2010, 08:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

after a year its unlikley , I would be either a presure spike or case weakened somehow. I would not just replace the case on a 100000 plus mile unit.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
after a year its unlikley , I would be either a presure spike or case weakened somehow. I would not just replace the case on a 100000 plus mile unit.
How would a presure spike happen?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hevymetalg
How would a presure spike happen?
Stuck regulator valve in the pump.

Cases can be used many many times over and over without any worries. When a tranny shop rebuilds a transmission... Many of the internal hard parts are reused as long as they dont have any damage (and they typically dont). Drums, pump, gears are all reused. During a rebuild the clutches and steels, 2-4 band, all internal seals, sometimes planetary are replaced. Everything else is reused!
Get a case and be done with it if you are willing to pay the lil more extra for a full rebuild vs. a used tranny cost.

Just depends on how much you want to put into the car and need the car to be dependable say 2,3,4 yrs down the road.

Bring over to my brother in laws shop on a sat and you can sit and watch him build it!
Old 01-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by remauto1187
Stuck regulator valve in the pump.

Cases can be used many many times over and over without any worries. When a tranny shop rebuilds a transmission... Many of the internal hard parts are reused as long as they dont have any damage (and they typically dont). Drums, pump, gears are all reused. During a rebuild the clutches and steels, 2-4 band, all internal seals, sometimes planetary are replaced. Everything else is reused!
Get a case and be done with it if you are willing to pay the lil more extra for a full rebuild vs. a used tranny cost.

Just depends on how much you want to put into the car and need the car to be dependable say 2,3,4 yrs down the road.

Bring over to my brother in laws shop on a sat and you can sit and watch him build it!
for real? where are you guy located?

Search this Thread