Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok trans gurus see how good ya are.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ok trans gurus see how good ya are.

I've been fighting this for awhile now and you guys have helped alot so far but i'm still stumped. I have a 98 chevy truck with a 4l60e and i only have second and third gear. Heres' what i've done so far
1. Have 12v at pin e
2. Have 12v at the solenoids and grounded them and they click
3. have continuity between trans connector and ecm on shift solenoid wires
4. swapped a and b solenoids to see if it would change
5. changed ecm

The only thing i noticed today and don't know if it means anythign but when i took out the shift solenoids to swap then the B solenoid has that spring loaded "rod" in there that popped out. Now the A solenoid one didn't pop out, put my finger in there and didn't feel any spring action, not sure if the A solenoid is supposed be the same action as the B. But give me advice on this and anything else you can think of for me to check out cause i'm stumped.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Teching In

First, have you had the vehicle scanned? If the 3-2 downshift solenoid is bad or you have a wiring issue in that circuit the vehicle should take off in third, but may be able to manually downshift to 2nd. It's been too many years since I've done any on hand diagnostics at the dealership.
You should have the vehicle scanned.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the codes pulled and it pretty much pulled up every tranny code there was. It takes off in second and shifts to third, thats all I got. I've had the codes reset and now i've replaced the ecm. Unless there is a bad wire and still shows contiuity some how then i don't know what else is in the system that I can check or swap.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

one solenoid should not have a spring behind it and one should.
However your issue is electrical in nature Your gonna need to pull the pan and measure that there is 12v in the feed inside the trans because your looking that 12v some where in the line and sounds like you have checked all before the trans to pin e into it

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-28-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the pan off and checked for 12v right at the a and b solenoids and had 12v to one side of the solenoid on both a and b.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

Default Second gear start.

Get a tech 2( borrow) . Go to transmission check, go to special test, Manual shift transmission, Verify ratios while jacked up . massage wire harness at both Module as well as at Trans pass through connector. you should be able to start off in First gear 3.05 :1 ratio if not the ECM/PCM is not grounding the solenoid.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think it's an ecm problem I just put a new ecm in and it's doing the exact same problem. What do you mean massage the harness, just move it around? And how would i get it to start off in first, I can't get it in first as it is now.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

Default Massage harness

The same way that you massage a sore muscle. as the Tech 2 is commanding first gear and you are reading the ratios have someone move around, wigle , massage the harness at the ECM plug as well as at the trans. , If the pin connector is the problem the intermittant connection will connect and the trans will toggle(go in and out of) first gear.I've done this before and found a new trans harness pin that was a loose crimp. I've also had one for the pressure control (Force Motor) open circuit and by massaging the harness while vehicle was running parked on the side of the road you could hear pump preesure go ftrom minimum to max pressure.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok have to see if I can get a tech 2 I wonder if autozone rents them out.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Default Tech 2

Tech 2 is GM Dealer only. There are other scanners out there , I just only know of the GM unit as I worked for GM Powertrain.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Checked the wiring and it was good, then i check for continuity from ecm to the solenoids with everythign connected. I got continuity from A solenoid pin of the ecm to a and b solenoids. so I took the solenoid harness out and not sure if it's like this from factory but there is a splice in the harness, it almost looks like the a and b solenoids are spliced in with the pwm, lockup and 3-2 solenoids. Is it supposed to be like that or they all supposed to have dedicated wires to the ecm and connector?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This trans is seriously pissin me off. Ok what I did today I dropped the pan checked continuity between a and b solenoids to the ecm and was good. I took apart the solenoid harness and checked continuity on everything and was good. I acutated a,b, 3-2 and tcc solenoids, the tcc solenoid seemed bad so I replaced it. And still no change at all. Every once in a long while the truck will shift fine like once or twice then go back to crap. So i'm totally stumped, just short of pulling apart every wire on this thing I don't know what else to check, everything is checking good.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Im willing to bet its gonna be a fuse some where or a pinched wire....it happend to my car, i was blowing the eng sen fuse....all i had was manual 2nd and 3rd gears...i beleive the way the solenoids are wired is something like this....power runs to TCC from there to solenoid a then b....just an example cant rememerb for sure...but my short came where the power entered the TCC solenoid which then stopped the rest of the solenoids from gettin power....the wire had become bare and was grounding out
Old 02-01-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats the thing though I checked the internal harness wires and solenoids and they are fine. The only thing I can think of is if the wires from the ecm to trans are showing continuity and they are indded broke or something. I'm gonna probably try to take that harness from ecm to trans out, if theres nothing in there bad then have no clue.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I ran 2 wires today, I splice just before the trans connector and just after the ecm. I splice wires for the A and B solenoids to replace the wires in case they were pinched. No change.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Mine happen after the plug at the tranny....so the wiring was good up until the connection on the outside of the tranny....when i dropped the pan i had to search thru all the little wires until i found the one that was bare and only on 1 side...it was a bitch to find.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i got another internal harness, got it installed yesterday just have to fill with fluid and see if it changes anything. Ill let ya konw if if does or doesn't.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:21 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When your truck does what it does, do you have power at the trans? If not you might have a bad ignition switch assembly. Just a thought. Vince
Old 02-04-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't tell vince i'd be drivin it. I do test when I have the pan off and am getting 12v, obviously can't test with car running though. And it does shift wierd too like it's droppin in and out of gear kinda feeling. I do still feel it's an electrical issue but I really don't know where cause everytime I check it I am getting 12v at the solenoids.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is some kind of a overrun problem. Just a guess.

Mec