Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buy a nice converter for a stock trans?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default buy a nice converter for a stock trans?

hey guys, does it make sense to buy a nice billet converter for a stock trans? i hate to spend big money on a nice efficient converter to have it need to be replaced if the trans takes a dump. i was thinking of buying an entry level tci or the high performance circle d for now..then maybe when the trans goes buy a real converter. is this a wise move? will i just be shortening my current trans life? should i just wait until i can do the whole tranny in one shot? i had a midwest in my old car with the stock trans and it ran fine for 10k miles, then i sold it.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

A stall will definately be harder on your transmission, thusly reducing its life. Of course even if your trans does go out on you, you can always have your converter rebuilt. I picked up a used converter for mine and have had good luck with it.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just depends on how wore out your tranny is now/abuse/mileage..what u plan on doing etc example: your gonna race alot, the stall size etc..there is a similar post below, im rebuilding mine now..just cuz...but if yours hasnt been abused, and your not throwing in a huge stall, at least run a decent trans cooler, and fluids..in your post, 'your going to wait until trans goes?' ..take extra measures that it 'does not GO!'..your gonna spend money on a entry level converter and when every thing takes a dump buy a real converter and trans? just do it right to begin with.my 02.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the post "Quick question about a A Stall" ..below for now..
Old 04-25-2010, 08:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

We sell a lot of converter that go on stock transmissions. If you get a good cooler and a tune, and assuming your trans is currently healthy. I don't think the converter will take much life away from the trans. If you trans is on it's last leg, any converter might finish it off. But if you are thinking about a billet converter, I would suggest getting one now. We offer a free cut and clean so if the trans does take a dump in a few months, you can send it back and make it new again!!

Chris
Old 04-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

if I was you I would go with Circle D...
Old 04-25-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id get a good stall. even if your trans goes you can still reuse it.