Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not shifting from 2 to 3 after turbo/tuning attempt

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not shifting from 2 to 3 after turbo/tuning attempt

Hey, I hope somebody can help me with this. My buddy and I installed an STS kit on my '95 Z successfully, and drove the car around for roughly 3 weeks on stock injectors and no tune. Please bare in mind, I have an OBDII computer in my '95, I swapped out my OBDI prior to my turbo install because the OBDII PCM had a tune on it for stock vehicles. I took the car out occasionally on weekends only that way, and the car drove fine - no issues whatsoever. Two weeks ago another friend of mine, who knows how to tune, and myself, got together to install the 42 lb injectors and starting tuning. We got the injectors in, and put my OBDI back in and began adjusting for the injectors and timing.

We go out to drive the car to start datalogging; the car shifted from 1 to 2 fine. At about 2600 RPM in 2nd gear, the car would seem like it goes into neutral (I would give it some gas and it would not go anywhere, but the RPMs would spike). Took the car back to his house, and looked at the tune. As a precautionary measure, we got another stock .bin file and flashed the PCM again, and the car still did the same thing. On two attempts, we even lost the speedometer completely (but that eventually came back). Also, Datamaster says that the trans is actually shifting, when it isn't.

I found a very reputable tuner in my area, and he came out of Sunday for several hours, and swapped two PCMs in and out of my car, and the car still did the same thing. He got under the car, and checked if the three connectors going into the trans from the harness where lose, and he said they were connected fine. The only thing I could possibly think could be the cause was when we were installed the back two injectors, there was convaluted-wrapped wiring going over the back of the intake that when had to move around to get access to the injectors. Could we have loosened up something in the harness? Is it a solonoid that is bad?

Please help... My car is basically stranded at this guy's house until I can figure out why the car won't shift from 2nd up. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody? Please...
Old 06-02-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody... help? TTT.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
unplug the trans wire plug. It should then be stuck in third if it's an electrical problem.

In 3rd both shift solenoids are off, so disconnecting the plug will put it in 3rd electrically. If it still has no third it could be a mechanical problem.
Do you know for sure if that is so for a 1995 OBD1 LT1? We are finding changes with every year. Thank you for taking the time to reply on the issue.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He is the one working on the car with me. LOL Any advice at this point is very helpful indeed.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, I have a '95 4L60E. I don't have my ECM in front of me to reference the number.