Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a v6 4l60e work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a v6 4l60e work?

I've tried searching, and haven't found much info that's useful. I need to know what it would take to make a v6 4l60e work in my 2000 Trans Am. I have my stock trans (blew second), if I need anything off of that.

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

why dont you just rebuild the trans? its ******* easy, i did it in a day.. and i had never even been in an auto before.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

The sad truth is you can make a v6 4l60e work for your car but it requires different parts and a lot of modification. The 4.3 bellhousings can work but your missing the top bolt hole the LS style bellhousing has. Another downfall the V6 has is the shorter input shaft. You can't use that input shaft on your LS1. The 3.4 is typically all one unit(no removable bellhousing till a certin year, cant remember?) with a 4 bolt tailhousing vs. your LS1 6 bolt tailhousing. Ive never seen the 3.8 transmissions but im guessing they might have the removable bellhousing which wont bolt up to the LS1 and the input shaft will still be too small but it might have the 6 bolt tailhousing with the bolt on torque arm style?(Google image one and find out) LT1 cars have the same adaptablity as the 4.3, (missing top bolt hole, shorter input shaft, but some will have the right tail housing and some wont 4bolt vs 6 bolt.)

So whats that leave...? Trucks with the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 should work better than the rest. Correct bellhousing, Correct input shaft, Wrong tail housing. Doesnt have the spots for the torque arm to bolt into. You can easily swap the tail shaft with the one off yours so the torque arm can bolt up. But a plus is you get the deep pan. Downfall is you wont get the corvette servo installed in a truck tranny... which you wont get as much of that fun bark into second gear like your use to.

Easiest swap is to get another 98-02 F-Body, fits perfect and have all the internals you are use to. Sucks finding one for a decent price is the hard part since all the others look cheaper.

I agree with the post above, Id just rebuild your tranny or have it rebuilt with tougher internals. Heat kills our trannys so if you dont have the time or budget find a barely used tranny in good shape and DEFINITELY throw and external cooler on there. Read some stickies on the coolers youll find what youll need. The cooler will help keep those internals from heating and burning up. Dont rely on the factory one
Old 07-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Teching In

alright, thanks that really helps. I would build my trans, but have no idea what to do and I don't have any of the specialty tools.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Try this, not many differences, depending on donor year.. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/4l60e.htm
Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Differences between a '98 f body V6 and a 2002 f body LS1 4L60E.
Input shaft/drum.
Pump stator tube.
Torque converter.
Bellhousing.
2nd Servo.
FWD accumulator spring.
4th accumulator spring.

Seperator plate hole sizes are very close and should work without a problem.

These should be close to the same differences found in any non LS1 4L60E from 1997 and up.
In a non f body application the extension housing is also different.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Teching In

thanks for all the info guys. so basically I could use most parts off my original trans to make a v6 fbody trans work.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DeadOnWS6
thanks for all the info guys. so basically I could use most parts off my original trans to make a v6 fbody trans work.
Yes, you could but the problem is swapping parts from a non working transmission to one that did work.
Look at the input drum and everything in it. IMO it's not worth just putting your old input drum and pump in another transmission. Even if you swap all the working used parts into your drum you've just done 1/3 of a refresh except with used parts. If you get new parts for the input/pump swap it wouldn't make sense to not get the rest of the parts and just put it all in your LS1 transmission.

Even if you had a budget of $0 it would still make more sense to find out what is wrong with the LS1 trans and just use the v6 as a parts donor.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

im not sure what specialty tools your talkin about besides the torx plus bits and snap ring pliers, i just rebuilt a tranny and its ****** insane
Old 07-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brianfromhawaii
im not sure what specialty tools your talkin about besides the torx plus bits and snap ring pliers, i just rebuilt a tranny and its ****** insane
Clutch spring depressors, sealing ring installers/resizers, lip seal installers, bushing drivers.

It almost sounds like your rebuild consisted of a friction swap.

Sure the tools can be made, I've done it, so what did you use?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Teching In

well from what I've learned im either going to build my stock trans or build a 4l80e and swap it in.

Quick Reply: Will a v6 4l60e work?