Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Bad Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Bad Converter?

Hey guys, I've been having this issue for alittle bit now with the transmission in my 94 3.4 with 4L60E. It has this really strange hardcore shaking when in gear or reverse with brake applied while stopped. Now at first I thought ok I may need motor mounts, but the key is it only does it in drive and reverse with my foot on the brake, stopped. It does not do it in park or in neutral with brake applied. I also had my tranny rebuilt about 2 years ago when i completely lost 1st gear, and it did it before the rebuild and after. I'm not a huge tranny guy so any help would be great guys.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The converter has no way of knowing what gear the transmission is in so I would say it is not the converter as it will act the same all the time if it was bad.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Teching In

So you're saying the converter will act the game if its in park, neutral, or drive? Sorry never really got a chance to really get into transmissions, maybe I should, sounds like I'm behind haha.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like more of a idle problem with the car. Look at how low the rpms are when the brake is applied. If its low hold the brake in and give it just enough gas to climb in the rpms. Also if you run a poly mount instead of a factory rubber then it could make the rattle a little more. But if more gas helps try cleaning your maf...(if the 3.4 has one, I don't ever mess with those)
Old 08-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Yeah I was looking into an idle problem before but it doesn't seem too low just around 900rpm. But I'm gonna keep looking, I mean yeah its annoying but its definitively tolerable.