Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L65E transmission took a crap on me (Suburban)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L65E transmission took a crap on me (Suburban)

I have a 2002 Chevy Suburban with 110k miles, it has a stock 5.3 v8, 2wd and a 4L65E transmission (but my transmission has about 20-25k on it only)...

(Before I go on I want to mention that my 4L65E is aftermarket and has a shift kit on it and beefier planetary gear)... So anyway, Today as I was driving and my transmission was between the 1-2 shift and as soon as it shifted into 2, it just revved up and I lost all power to my wheels.. at first I knew it was something in my drivetrain that broke, but was unsure exactly what.. So I rolled to a nearby parking lot and figured out that it was the transmission, because I saw it puking ATF all over the floor.. Looks like from teh side of the pan, near the end of the tailshaft housing.. looked to me like it was leaking more on the driver side.

Could it be the pump only? could something maybe have came loose from the pressure and just blown ATF out of the pan, causing me to lose shifts because of the low levels of ATF?

When the the 1-2 shift happened and I lost all power to the wheels, I didnt really hear any noise of something breaking.. can anyone suggest to me what the issue could be?

I am not fully convinced something mechanical is necessarily broken OR not fully certain if the damage is necessarily serious, because the car DID have reverse but it took excessive revving to get it moving. and it also was barely able to go forward in drive. However that is all I was able to know, before towing it to my local mechanic.

I would really like to know about this as soon as possible, because my mechanic is not the best guy for this jpb, because he would rather order a new trans and replace it, instead of diagnosing if the problem may be an easy one. Hopefully it may just be in the valvebody or pump and I may be able to fix it cheaper.

So if anyone could let me know, id appreciate it. thanks.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Launching!

First check the fluid once you do that look for the leak if it leaked out that quick it might be a cooler line.Just do not drive it until the leak is fixed hopefully the unit is not burned up.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

I did not drive it after.

i will try to have it checked (the car is far from me now).

thanks.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

The mechanic is concluding that something internally is broken, because he claims it does not go forward or reverse.

I however do not buy it.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

need more advice please.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you see why it puked...? Did the 2/4 servo cover fly off, or did a cooler line break...?

Do you have undercar pictures...?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joecar
Did you see why it puked...? Did the 2/4 servo cover fly off, or did a cooler line break...?

Do you have undercar pictures...?
I have not been able to see under teh car, I just layed on the floor and took a look, but had it towed shortly after...

I actually did snap a few pics, but I dont think much is visible from the pics.

if it MAY help Ill post the pics as soon as I get a chance, but chances are they arent helpful pics.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
The mechanic is concluding that something internally is broken, because he claims it does not go forward or reverse.

I however do not buy it.
Your going to need to be a little more proactive & either look at it yourself or get someone you trust to look at it.The very first thing is put fluid in it ( no fluid no movement) then look for the leak.It could be burned up but go through the proper steps before saying the trans is no good.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

At this point, All I want to know is: could there be no mechanical failure/damage and still my transmission doesnt go into gear?(due to a massive leak / something blowing up from pressure?)

So apparently at this point, yes.

Now I have many options as to what I am going to do.. Its putting me at an awkward position, right now , because of so many factors at the moment. So thanks for the replies.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
At this point, All I want to know is: could there be no mechanical failure/damage and still my transmission doesnt go into gear?(due to a massive leak / something blowing up from pressure?)

So apparently at this point, yes.

Now I have many options as to what I am going to do.. Its putting me at an awkward position, right now , because of so many factors at the moment. So thanks for the replies.
I recently had my tranny redone, and on two occasions I blew the pump out before the re builder came clean and admitted he did not put a 13 vane in there to begin with.

The first time I was about to get on a ramp to enter the freeway and needed to kick it to get in line. I mashed it to the floor and it downshifted but as soon as it caught gear it revved out, knew immediately something was wrong. Came to a complete stop and had nothing, no forward, no reverse, not even in 4 wheel drive.

Second time I was cruising along about 70 and wanted to show my little brother the get up and go I had. Mashed it to the floor and it let go again, revved out and had nothing when I came to a complete stop.

After a good "come to Jesus talk" with my re builder (he's family so couldn't be to hard), I now have a 13 vane pump and have had no problems.

In your case the fluid leak is the difference. Not sure if this helped, but thought I would share my experience.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Thank you..

actually, I was just at teh shop and we took the pan off and it had metallic shavings, but I saw a few metal pieces. they looked to me more aluminum-like in color.

Now I am sure something mechanical is broken due to this..

Now I am trying to debate what I should give as the core... should I keep this 4L65E with 25k and with broken pieces or my stock 4L60E with 85k miles and 1-2-3 gears work, just reverse and OD are broken.

Last edited by LSGunZ28; 08-30-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 4L65E transmission took a crap on me (Suburban)