Sponsored by:

Signs of a converter that unlocks/locks too early

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signs of a converter that unlocks/locks too early

Hey guys,
I think my transmission's converter (Yank 3600 SS) is slipping, or causing the torque management to go nuts. I accelerate fine, but then on sudden times while cruising it'll creep up a few grand of RPMs when i attempt to press the pedal. I have to back off the pedal, the ease into it and it's accelerating fine again.

Any idea as to if its my converter or the transmission. I had the transmission built back in 2007.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Sounds like the tune to me. How long has it been running on the tune?

I'll never understand people who have the modifications you have and keep torque management.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Sounds like the tune to me. How long has it been running on the tune?

I'll never understand people who have the modifications you have and keep torque management.
So your saying I should get a new tune, and get rid of torque management entirely? And this should cure this "wandering torque converter"?
I'll see what I can do.

Might sound like a newbie question here but What is Torque Management?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ChefTA
So your saying I should get a new tune, and get rid of torque management entirely? And this should cure this "wandering torque converter"?
I'll see what I can do.

Might sound like a newbie question here but What is Torque Management?
Whether a new tune will work or not I don't know.
The correct way to fix the problem IMO is to run it with the tuning equipment scanning and see whats going on. It sounds like a tune problem to me, not mechanical.

As for torque management it basically pulls timing to reduce engine power. I felt it when one of my cars was stock, it fell flat on it's face when I was driving hard on the highway. It must have hit maximum, at max tm it pulls 50* timing.

Thats why I say I don't understand modifying a car, yet still having something taking performance away.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Whether a new tune will work or not I don't know.
The correct way to fix the problem IMO is to run it with the tuning equipment scanning and see whats going on. It sounds like a tune problem to me, not mechanical.

As for torque management it basically pulls timing to reduce engine power. I felt it when one of my cars was stock, it fell flat on it's face when I was driving hard on the highway. It must have hit maximum, at max tm it pulls 50* timing.

Thats why I say I don't understand modifying a car, yet still having something taking performance away.
Ah, I see. Well It does feel like it's flat on its face (loss of power) sometimes. Damn torque management might be hindering or holding back my entire motor, hence the loss in power down low.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You'd better read more about TM before jumpin' in with both feet.
Especially if you're using the car as a driver.
If it's track all day, & you're not concerned about rebuilding your transmission, then go for it.