Sponsored by:

Need new built-up valve body....blew tranny last night

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Need new built-up valve body....blew tranny last night

4L60E
Well, it lasted 4 years, not too shabby. REVERSE still worked so I drove home baskwards for about 1 1/2 miles...... lol

Where can I get a valve body with all the goodies and upgrades? I'm having my friend rebuild it again from front to back but I think my valve body is bad or worn out maybe.

When I go from PARK to REVERSE it bangs into gear......started a couple years ago. Never did it for the first 6 years that I had this built 4L60E. It also bangs going into DRIVE but not anywhere near as hard as REVERSE.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:54 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

The valve body did not do this. Take it apart and "see" what happened, and go from there.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PBA
The valve body did not do this. Take it apart and "see" what happened, and go from there.
I know the valve body didn't fail last night......but can a worn out valve body or the moving parts that are in the valve body cause the banging into gear that started slowly about 4 years after I had the tranny installed in 2002? Its the same valve body, but the tranny has been rebuilt three times in 8 years. Same valve body parts too.

My fluid is all dark and smells burnt. Just 2 days ago when I checked it in my driveway it was crystal clear redish color and there was absolutely no burnt smell.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:11 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As stated above the vb is probably not your problem here. Slop in the internal parts, drive line, line pressure at idle, high idle, clutch clearance and so on would be more of what I would be looking at. Sounds like you broke something in the input drum to cause this failure. The harsh apply in forward might have helped this failure however there are other things to look at here.

There are a few things that you should have your buddy look at in the valve body. The forward accumulator, the forward and reverse abuse plugs and valves. Make sure the valves move nice and that the plugs are not trashed. Sonnax sells the plugs and most builders over look this when building units. Then again most hack builders never even take the valve body apart when they build a trans. Good luck on the rebuild. Vince

Last edited by FLT; 09-19-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
As stated above the vb is probably not your problem here. Slop in the internal parts, drive line, line pressure at idle, high idle, clutch clearance and so on would be more of what I would be looking at. Sounds like you broke something in the input drum to cause this failure. The harsh apply in forward might have helped this failure however there are other things to look at here.

There are a few things that you should have your buddy look at in the valve body. The forward accumulator, the forward and reverse abuse plugs and valves. Make sure the valves move nice and that the plugs are not trashed. Sonnax sells the plugs and most builders over look this when building units. Then again most hack builders never even take the valve body apart when they build a trans. Good luck on the rebuild. Vince
Last time he rebuilt it he took every part of the valve body apart. I was there, it looks liked a bunch of movable little rods and springs but I don't know what they're called. Is that the parts your talking about for him to check out?
This is your valve body by the way, came in your FLP L-4 long ago.

What I want is to just start over. He knows how to build a tranny real well, it lasted 4 years with my hp/tq and aggressive driving. But I'm concerned that the valve body should just be replaced along with it this time. The valve body and its movable parts now has 144,000 miles on it.

How much is one of your new valve bodies with all the movable parts? I assume I can reuse all my sensors, right?

It must be one of those other things you mentioned, because my idle is identical as when the engine and tranny went in together back in 2002 and it didn't bang into gear at all for the first 4-5 years I had the car.

Last edited by LS6427; 09-19-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Banned

One other thing I totally forgot to mention. About 4 months ago tranny breaking in all gears totally stopped. Meaning if I was in OD or D just cruising steady at 50-60mph.....and then I take my foot off the gas to coast down, and I manually drop it down to downshift to help slow down by use of tranny breaking.....absolutely nothing would happen. It would just continue to coast down. If while coasting, and I drop it down one gear, then I hit the gas a little it would nudge it to then kick in to that lower gear. But if I just dropped it down to the next lower gear without any throttle input (foot completely off the pedal) it would do absolutely nothing.

But during the last 4 months or so that it was doing this, the tranny operated totally normal while accelerating up through the gears from a dead stop. Shifted crisp, hard and normal. It just lost its downshifting ability.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:33 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

I'll answer in bold in your post.

Originally Posted by LS6427
Last time he rebuilt it he took every part of the valve body apart. I was there, it looks liked a bunch of movable little rods and springs but I don't know what they're called. Is that the parts your talking about for him to check out?
Yes the parts in the valve body I mentioned would be those. I refer to valve body part as valves, springs, plugs and clips. If he has a book and does not know them off hand he should look them up.
This is your valve body by the way, came in your FLP L-4 long ago.
Small world. If the VB was from a FLP L4 that was a little bit before my time with FLT.

What I want is to just start over. He knows how to build a tranny real well, it lasted 4 years with my hp/tq and aggressive driving. But I'm concerned that the valve body should just be replaced along with it this time. The valve body and its movable parts now has 144,000 miles on it.

How much is one of your new valve bodies with all the movable parts? I assume I can reuse all my sensors, right?
Sorry we do not sell parts. If you are doing a full rebuild I would suggest replacing the electronic's.
It must be one of those other things you mentioned, because my idle is identical as when the engine and tranny went in together back in 2002 and it didn't bang into gear at all for the first 4-5 years I had the car.
Have your builder look at these things mentioned to make sure they are all good. I just mentioned them because I felt it might help.

One other thing I totally forgot to mention. About 4 months ago tranny breaking in all gears totally stopped. Meaning if I was in OD or D just cruising steady at 50-60mph.....and then I take my foot off the gas to coast down, and I manually drop it down to downshift to help slow down by use of tranny breaking.....absolutely nothing would happen. It would just continue to coast down. If while coasting, and I drop it down one gear, then I hit the gas a little it would nudge it to then kick in to that lower gear. But if I just dropped it down to the next lower gear without any throttle input (foot completely off the pedal) it would do absolutely nothing.

But during the last 4 months or so that it was doing this, the tranny operated totally normal while accelerating up through the gears from a dead stop. Shifted crisp, hard and normal. It just lost its downshifting ability.

You either had an over run clutch failure or the hub for this clutch is broken from the input sprag if I had to guess. Vince
Old 09-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Banned

I'll answer in bold in your post.

You either had an over run clutch failure or the hub for this clutch is broken from the input sprag if I had to guess. Vince
Alright, thanks for the input. So do you think my valve body itself is fine, I mean, do they simply last forever and you just have to replace the moving parts????

I'll just get all new moving parts and sensors, what the hell.

What shift kit should I go with?

Old 09-19-2010, 11:08 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Alright, thanks for the input. So do you think my valve body itself is fine, I mean, do they simply last forever and you just have to replace the moving parts????

I'll just get all new moving parts and sensors, what the hell.

What shift kit should I go with?

They do wear out however we normally take them apart and repair or replace as needed. There are certain things that we inspect and replace with sonnax parts if we feel they are worn and the vb can be saved. I guess what I'm saying is have your builder make these decisions and go from there.

If that valve body was built by FLP then it should have a transgo kit in it already. I guess you could start over with a fresh kit if the valve body was just installed on the trans. This way you will have the other components for the transmission as well. Vince
Old 09-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Banned

They do wear out however we normally take them apart and repair or replace as needed. There are certain things that we inspect and replace with sonnax parts if we feel they are worn and the vb can be saved. I guess what I'm saying is have your builder make these decisions and go from there.

If that valve body was built by FLP then it should have a transgo kit in it already. I guess you could start over with a fresh kit if the valve body was just installed on the trans. This way you will have the other components for the transmission as well. Vince
Looking through their site I see the parts are all individually listed....is there a rebuild kit they sell that comes with all the new valve body parts?

Old 09-19-2010, 11:31 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

No there is no such thing. They sell parts to salvage valve bodies that are worn out or have problems in areas that need to be addressed. It really sounds like you want to throw money at a valve body. Look up WIT and see if they sell a valve body from VBX. These are remanufactured valve bodies. I hope this helps. Vince
Old 09-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Banned

No there is no such thing. They sell parts to salvage valve bodies that are worn out or have problems in areas that need to be addressed. It really sounds like you want to throw money at a valve body. Look up WIT and see if they sell a valve body from VBX. These are remanufactured valve bodies. I hope this helps. Vince
Ok, thanks for the help Vince...........

There was also something I remember him saying that FLP modified on the valve body. Something that looked gold in color and a cylinder fit into it. Maybe a diaphram. I'll have to ask him again. He said to replace that I'd have to get it from FLP because they actually bored that part of the valve body bigger so it would fit.

Last edited by LS6427; 09-20-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Aren't you the guy that has told people about your friend that knows everything about 4L60E's and will build them one for $500 if they ship one to him?

This post isn't doing that guy much good. If he knows what he's doing just drop it off.
He should know what to do and know what parts are in it, and it shouldn't bang into gear when he's done. JMO
Old 09-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Banned

There was also something I remember him saying that FLP modified on the valve body. Something that looked gold in color and a cylinder fit into it. Maybe a diaphram. I'll have to ask him again. He said to replace that I'd have to get it from FLP because they actually bored that part of the valve body bigger so it would fit.
Sonnax 77754-09K Actuator Feed Limit Valve Kit?

Your builder sounds like he would know....

He charges me $200 labor to do it and he gets me all the best parts for about $300. (no hard parts) He simply whips through it in half day and just knows what the hell he's doing with a 4L60E.

You need to find someone like that. He'll rebuilt it for you if you ship it to him, it'll probably cost half the price of most shops for shipping and the total rebuild. I doubt there's a better tranny guy anywhere then him, for the 4L60E anyway. He's a tranny guy at a Dodge dealer right now, but has worked for race shops in the past on hundreds of 4L60E's and other GM stuff.

I have almost 500 RWTQ and my friend who works at a Dodge dealership as a tranny tech has rebuilt mine twice. First time it last 3 years, second time is now going on 4 years abd its still performing fine. I beat the crap out of it every single day. 4L60E is a good tranny if its built properly.
My friend charges me $150 labor and all new heavy duty parts both times cost me ~$350. Done deal..
My friend is a tranny guy at a Dodge/Chrysler dealership. He has rebuilt my 4L60E two times in the past 7 years. The second rebuild he did for me is going on 4 years now and my tranny is 100% perfect still.

He made me buy all the best parts for the rebuild, $350 if I remember right and he charges me $200 to drop it at the dealership on a Saturday (side jobs allowed), rebuild it and put it back in.

I beat the living hell out of my tranny with ~500 RWTQ (street car only) and mine lasts for 4 years without a single issue. Too bad you're not in South Florida, he does side work all the time and he's as good as a tranny guy can possibly get.

Also, people have shipped their trannys to him in a crate so he can rebuild them, if you're interested.
I met a guy in an F-Body club that works at a Chrysler dealership as a tranny tech, he rebuild it the 3rd time. Parts were $350, he charged me $150 for his labor. It lasted 3 years. He rebuilt it again for about the same cost and its been another 3 years since then and its still perfect like day one.
Its the exact car and mods you see in my sig.
Where do you live?
My buddy here in town who works at a Chrysler dealership as the tranny tech completely rebuilt it for me for about $800. The best of everything was put in. It lasted 3 solid years. He rebuilt it again, this time it cost less because it only needed the basics, it cost me $350. !!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Aren't you the guy that has told people about your friend that knows everything about 4L60E's and will build them one for $500 if they ship one to him?

This post isn't doing that guy much good. If he knows what he's doing just drop it off.
He should know what to do and know what parts are in it, and it shouldn't bang into gear when he's done. JMO
Well, he's out of town till the 27th. I'm trying to figure out where I can order parts for the valve body issue. Its old and has to be worn out by now, at least the parts are.

As far as rebuilding every other part of the tranny, he'll be dealing with all that crap. He texted me about Red Eagle stuff, Z-packs, Borg Warner Energy something or other....who knows........that stuff I don't have to worry about, he deals with that. But my valve body has some custom mod on it that I'd like to get worked out before he gets back. To save time.

But yes....he's a badass when it comes to trannys. Nobody else was able to make a tranny last for 4 years with my 427ci....he does.

And I recently rebuilt my front Hal shocks and reinstalled them. I have replacment Bilstiens for the rears. He's doing all the labor, including R&R of the tranny, in trade for my two rear Hal shocks and one is completely blown. Pretty cool friend.

So chill out................

And thanks for the Sonnax info...........

Last edited by LS6427; 09-20-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

Sonnax 77754-09K Actuator Feed Limit Valve Kit?
Looked at that.....thats not the custom part I'm talking about. The part looks like a little flying suacer and I think it was gold in color and about 2 inches in diameter, maybe 1 inch thick.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Banned

Looked at that.....thats not the custom part I'm talking about. The part looks like a little flying suacer and I think it was gold in color and about 2 inches in diameter, maybe 1 inch thick.

Vacuum modulator? Thats a TransGo part.

If he builds 4L60E's like you say he does he might have all the reamers needed to bore the worn VB bores and install oversized valves.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Banned

Vacuum modulator? Thats a TransGo part.

If he builds 4L60E's like you say he does he might have all the reamers needed to bore the worn VB bores and install oversized valves.
I'm sure he does...he's just on vacation in Venezuela, hard to communicate. I'm just trying to at least have a new valve body here waiting. I guess I'll have to just wait for him.

And you know what.....now that you mention vacuum modulator, thats exactly the part I'm talking about.

So when I buy the new Trans Go shift kit that part will be in there and all he has to do is reem the new valve body in that spot bigger to match it???

Old 09-20-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol this is funny. and for 350 bucks in parts I hate to see what is in it lol. I have 2 4l60es runnning in the 9s and I have close to 750 just in parts in each of them. Anyone who says they are going to build a race 4l60e for 500 bucks lol I wouls stay clear of that even if I wasnt a builder. No- wait maybe I will sub my work out to him that sounds like a better Idea lol.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Predator T/A
lol this is funny. and for 350 bucks in parts I hate to see what is in it lol. I have 2 4l60es runnning in the 9s and I have close to 750 just in parts in each of them. Anyone who says they are going to build a race 4l60e for 500 bucks lol I wouls stay clear of that even if I wasnt a builder. No- wait maybe I will sub my work out to him that sounds like a better Idea lol.
Well, it lasted 4 years, which is longer than anyone else gets with my HP/TQ in a daily driver that is actually driven every day. So I don't care if he shovels **** in there. What he does....works great. And all my parts last time cost me $350, all hard parts were fine. And its not a RACE tranny, its a normal street driven car, never sees a track. 4 years is a long *** time to get out of a cheesy 4L60E tranny. Looks like you've been getting ripped off for parts. That sucks, but it happens.

Quick Reply: Need new built-up valve body....blew tranny last night