Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 trans am automatic tranny slipping. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 trans am automatic tranny slipping. HELP!!!

I don't know much about cars but I have a 98 blk trans am "ram air" edition. automatic transmission thats been rebuilt for up to 550 hp by the previous owner at around 100,000 miles and he reprogrammed the ecu for the built transmission and had a 160 degree thermostat on it as well as a 2200 stall converter. The car has 122,000 miles. Just today I was driving down interstate and was in cruise control and got to a hill and my rpm's started soaring and my car started slowing down and i couldnt go any faster. i was able to get pulled over and put it in park and everything worked well for a while. a couple hours later i slowed down and the tranny slipped when shifting into 3rd and once again my rpm's soared and i couldnt go faster. I pulled over like 9 different times and it kept slipping at 3rd. until i pulled over again and finally i floored it and it and quickly got up to 80 mph no problem very smoothly. it shifts smoothly in overdrive almost every time. I added some lucas oil additive but that didn't help either. I also checked the tranny fluid. normal color, doesn't smell and it was full and not leaking what so ever. I've heard it could be a bad solenoid pack??? help me out please i'm going insane driving my grandmas lumina
Old 10-18-2010, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackTAramair
i'm going insane driving my grandmas lumina
bump for you my friend.. just because of this
Old 10-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
bump for you my friend.. just because of this
lol thanks bud. worst of all its maroon. i get depressed whenever i have to drive anywhere and i cover my face when people pass me
Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Teching In

bump
Old 10-19-2010, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well if its slipping high reving sounds like you are gonna need a trans.. I would have it scanned for codes but it not likley a solenoid issue with the description you are giving.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Teching In

could it be the torque converter failing? programming issues?It still shifts once in a while but i have to be in overdrive. Would I need it fixed asap or could i leave it sit all winter in a garage. wasn't planning on driving it this winter anyway since in north dakota its probly going to start snowing tomorrow
Old 10-20-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

It sounds to me like your 3-4 clutches are toast. Happens all the time. Time for a rebuild.

Quick Reply: 98 trans am automatic tranny slipping. HELP!!!