Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700r4 shifting problems

Old 11-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 700r4 shifting problems

im having some trans issues hopefully someone may have an idea.
fresh rebuild parked about a year before driving it much
when i first started driving it, it wouldnt start out in first, i assumed it was second.
cleaned out the governor and it would have auto 1st gear for a week or a couple days. got lazy and just started manually shifting it instead of cleaning the governor. this thing always worked as follows. od is automatic, 1,2,or d is 1st second and third if you put the lever in that position. im not sure what was done to make it work this way. other than that, it didnt seem to really have a fourth gear. if i was on the highway going fast off the throttle and had it in od and moved it to d, you would feel it drop to 3rd and slow you down, but any attempt at acceleration would have it in 3rd.
the main issue is that at least the manual shifting worked great

a couple weeks ago the thing broke, lost forward gears but had reverse.
im not sure exactly what broke, i believe it was the sun gear, or one of them anyways. brought it to a new friend that i hoped could help get it fixed and for cheap. there were a bunch of sticky valves, one that was completely jammed in place and was replaced, and a spring( maybe out of a servo or accumulator) that he thought was too stiff, and replaced it with a softer one.
so the main broken parts were replaced, a couple of valve body issues were addressed, and i was back on the road for $100

took a week for me to get the time to throw it in, and when i did i forgot to clean and blow out the cooler, and also decided to risk not sending out the converter cuz im broke. so it drove good for the first day, shifted a little early, might of still not had fourth, never took it on the highway. it was nice to just press the gas and not be manually shifting it. i was happy for a day.
the next morning i drive my girl to work and its not starting of in 1st, i figure here we go, clean out the governor, i was kinda expecting it since i did such a dirty job. but now i go to manually shift, and there is no second gear.

so now i cant drive around manually shifting without going 1-3, and in od when it starts out in what i thought before was second, maybe is/was 3rd.
so it looks like no second or fourth. that would make more sense than having second in od but not manually.

so my new friend the transbuilder says i should start over with a valvebody that hasnt been modified , he checked it against a transgo instructions and said it wasnt a transgo kit. it might be some custom modifications done by my uncle to give it the full manual and full auto. my main concern was that the manual mode worked fine before the trans broke, now it doesnt. there is the spring and valve that was changed, could those be making it not work how it was setup before?

im trying not to put any money into this thing, id rather put it towards a 4l80e
i also have a 4l60e laying around, which id rather put money towards a computer for it and swap them out.
i have a 4wd 700 sitting around, at least i could swap valve bodies for free.but if i could make it work like it used to, having 1,2, and 3 in manual, i could at least drive it around, maybe make a pass or two to get a timeslip, ive been waiting to get a good slip on this car forever. this trans originally broke at the track at the end of the season in 06, when it was rebuit by my uncle. then the motor broke at the track in 09. the best this car has done so far is 13.35, just before that first trans went out

Last edited by 89LS1RS; 11-16-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh yeah, forgot to mention, saturday i went back to the trans guy and we dropped the pan, cleaned off a bunch more crud from the magnet, and removed the valvebody, nothing was found to be sticking i guess we shoulda airchecked it while it was there. after cleaning it and getting it back together it was the same. but originally it worked at first, then it didnt, so i dont think a seal or anything could have been nicked when putting the 2-4 servos back. seems like there has to be an issue with the governor and the band, maybe the servos arent working properly, or the valvebody needs more cleaning or replacement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 700r4 shifting problems