Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about tourque converter lockup

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about tourque converter lockup

I am new to the 4L60E transmission. The issue I am fighting is that I installed a 5.3L motor out of a 2002 Silverado / 4L60E transmission/NP231 transfer case.

the issue is that the jeep always feels like it is not going to stop. I installed 1 ton brake system to help. It works Ok until I go in to low 4X4. So a couple questions after reading a lot of the forum. I ensured that I am providing the 12VDC to the PCM when I hit the brakes. I have it off a relay so when I hit my brakes it drops the voltage to the PCM. I am not receiving any codes from the PCM. When I am driving it is fine I have great acceleration and it down shifts when I go to pass. Every thing in the transmission is stock.

1: How do you know if the transmission is locked?

2: Is there a way to put the transmission in a mode where it will not lock (for testing only)

3: Any suggestions or thoughts.

Thank you for your time and info
Old 02-18-2011, 08:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If the converter was staying locked the engine would die when you came to a stop, just like a manual trans if you did not push the clutch in. Sounds like you converter may be to tight/low stall. Is the 5.3 stock? What converter did you use?

Chris
Old 02-18-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It should be wired constant 12v "from" the pcm to the relay n/c to the TCC. The brake switch, tied to the relay opens (interrupts) the circuit when depressed, disengaging the TCC. There should be an actual TCC feed wire from the pcm.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went went a stock torque converter due to I want to keep the RPM's down when I am on rocks.

Circle-D thanks I had not thought that it would be like not depressing the clutch. That makes a lot of sense. thanks

lt1-xjs thanks here is a clipping from the wiring harness manufacture instructions.
BRAKE SW (optional) - These circuits are used to provide power to the TCC solenoid in the automatic transmission. If you are not using the electronic automatic transmission, you may stow these wires. If you are using the electronic automatic transmission, these wires will connect to the brake switch terminals that are normally used for cruise control or TCC solenoid (normally closed). These wires do not connect to the terminals for the brake lights. See table 4.1 for the recommended brake switch. If you are using the recommended brake switch then you will wire it according to a stock wiring schematic The pink wire to the back of the switch in the illustration is the wire that has power on it whether or not the brake is being applied. If your vehicle has a pressure type brake switch, you may use
a relay as shown in a stock schematic. The relay must be a SPDT Relay and wired correctly or it could result in a dangerous situation with the vehicle. The torque converter may not unlock.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It sounded like the TCC wasn't unlocking. Providing you have the correct brake switch it should be fine. However with the transplant it may not be so, the last 3 sentences describe what I was saying.