Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift selector lever question. 4L60e

Old 07-15-2019, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift selector lever question. 4L60e

I am building a wrangler with an 04 6.0L Lq9 paired with an 05 4L60e. With the goals of a seamless dash and center console design, and living on a budget, I deleted the column shifter and mounted a 2002 Camaro floor shifter. I believe I am onto something when I think about it but need confirmation...

Will the shift lever on the trans be of a different shape, design, size for a column shift truck vs the trans mounted under a car with a floor shifter?

What happens is, when I pull back from park to reverse, my shifter skips the first detent and lands where neutral should be. The trans does click into reverse though. The rest of the detents match the gear shift lever in terms of feel or clicking, but because the first detent is skipped I cannot put the jeep into 1st.
I have searched for this lever for an 02 Camaro but have not had much luck.

Has anyone mounted a column shifted trans under another vehicle with floor shift and had to make some corrections?
Old 07-16-2019, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,212 Likes on 778 Posts

The camaro shifter is a cable shifter. So it should work in virtually any vehicle as long as the handle doesn't hit the dash/radio when forward, and it doesn't hit cupholders/etc when backwards.
Sounds like you need to get the proper lever arm on the trans shift shaft and the cable bracket to match the camaro. Once you have that, just adjust the cable properly and it will be easy peasy.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
The camaro shifter is a cable shifter. So it should work in virtually any vehicle as long as the handle doesn't hit the dash/radio when forward, and it doesn't hit cupholders/etc when backwards.
Sounds like you need to get the proper lever arm on the trans shift shaft and the cable bracket to match the camaro. Once you have that, just adjust the cable properly and it will be easy peasy.
So I just ordered a Lokar adjustable lever because I am having no luck finding OEM parts for the 02 Camaro trans I am trying to replicate. The oem shift lever and shift cable mount seem impossible to find. I may have to end up fabbing my own bracket but dont want to trial and error the exact location it should mount without running out of cable or bottoming out on itself.

Anyone know where I can find the specific parts?
Old 07-16-2019, 04:08 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Tkahne88
Anyone know where I can find the specific parts?
Well are you on Mars or.......

I have two whole linkage setups with the cables off camaros. I know of 6 junk yards I could go to and find more. V6 cars have the same parts as LS1 cars and all the parts including the shifter are the same from 1993 to 2002.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 502 Likes on 387 Posts

If you can't find it locally try calling Hawks Motorsports.com
The following users liked this post:
Tkahne88 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Well are you on Mars or.......

I have two whole linkage setups with the cables off camaros. I know of 6 junk yards I could go to and find more. V6 cars have the same parts as LS1 cars and all the parts including the shifter are the same from 1993 to 2002.
Haha, well Arizonas deserts are close enough... I have only searched for new since I have no time during work hours to hit a junk yard.

Thanks for the info though
Old 07-16-2019, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

Yeah... I would rather scour the junk yards for days if I had to...
Rather than use an aftermarket adjustable auto-trans gear selector/ cable assembly...

I hate those things with a passion. I don't care if is was from B&M, Locar or anybody for that matter...

******* JUNK!
Tkahne88 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 02:05 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

There are two different "rooster combs" being used internally in 4L60E's. One for the floor shifter and one for the column shifter. The column shifter rooster comb has a deeper notches on it. The floor shifter has shallower notches. Camaros and Firebirds use the shallower notches. Trucks and vans use the deeper notches on their rooster comb.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,212 Likes on 778 Posts

But they are spaced the same @PBA
So the only difference is the engagement of the detent roller in the rooster valleys.

AKA the truck/van shifter will have a more firm/stiff feeling between each shifter position than the car version
Tkahne88 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 502 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by PBA
There are two different "rooster combs" being used internally in 4L60E's. One for the floor shifter and one for the column shifter. The column shifter rooster comb has a deeper notches on it. The floor shifter has shallower notches. Camaros and Firebirds use the shallower notches. Trucks and vans use the deeper notches on their rooster comb.
Thanks PBA, I learn something new from this forum almost every day.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:45 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes, they are spaced the same.

"AKA the truck/van shifter will have a more firm/stiff feeling between each shifter position than the car version" Exactly....
Old 07-17-2019, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Tkahne88
Haha, well Arizonas deserts are close enough... I have only searched for new since I have no time during work hours to hit a junk yard.

Thanks for the info though
I'd hit up the wanted & for sale section, craigslist for part outs, facebook for sale groups, or even those in this thread that have what you need and see if you can score the factory OE items. Just make sure you get a shift lever and cable from the same year cars, some where along the line the ball on the lever changes size.
Tkahne88 (07-17-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 12:25 PM
Teching In

So the only difference is the engagement of the detent roller in the rooster valleys.

AKA the truck/van shifter will have a more firm/stiff feeling between each shifter position than the car version
Originally Posted by PBA
So after soo much trial and error with the adjustable lever and home made bracket I found a lever, cable and bracket from a 2002 Z28 on Ebay. Today I installed it, but the bracket doesnt seem to mount up in the right spot for perfect shifter to shift lever meshing. So I tried my lokar adjustable lever and through all this time of swinging the lever back and fourth something seems to have come loose at the gear selector shaft. I can now move the shift lever back and fourth about a half inch. In and out some as well... When I click it back 1, it moves a lot, then clicks into N. Then I can move it forward to R. So it is now always skipping R on the way down, but hits it on the way up.... What the hell happened!? What do I need to do?

Video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nihisd6yc6...92058.mp4?dl=0

Search this Thread