Sponsored by:

Torque Converter Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter Shudder

4L60E on a 2001 Trans Am.

Just wondering if this is indeed converter shudder. When I let the car roll(no gas, no braking) at about 38-55 often times there will be a slight vibration felt in it. This vibration can at times become very severe. To a point where it feels like the car is going to explode. If I even so much as tap the brakes, even to a point where just the brake lights come on, it will stop. If I release the brakes it will start again. The same goes for gas. If I just feed it a bit of gas it will stop. Let off, starts again. It will also NEVER do this under 35 mph. If I just let it roll and shudder and let it slow itself down to 35, boom second it hits 35 the shudder stops. This will also never occur under higher speeds like on highways around 60-70.

Unrelated to the shudder, intermittently if I am doing highway speeds around 60-80 and accelerate at WOT the car will slip. RPMs race up to over 5000, none of that reaching the wheels. This only happens at WOT. If I go about 3/4s throttle the car will usually shift fine. Again this is intermittent wont happen all the time. Usually though when It does happen. It happens repeatedly for a week or so. Then will go away. Maybe related to the TC?

I just want to know because Im getting my car rebuilt(engine wise) and part of the process is putting a 3600 yank stall in there. Hoping that my problem was a junk TC so that with this stall my problems are solved.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the Trans going into "Limp Mode". I had that about 3 times when the converter was slipping too much and over-heated the trans. Changing the Converter and trans cooler stopped it.

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Shudder