Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Pump Grenade - Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60E Pump Grenade - Now What?

Well my pump in my 4L60E blew up, the rotor broke in quite a few places and destroyed the pump. I am wondering what I should do next. There were no shavings or debris found in the pan itself, however one of the pump vanes was found inside the filter, but nothing else. I am wondering if the debris could have gone elsewhere in my trans? If so how do I go about fixing the trans, is it as simple as throwing a new pump in it? Or is there likely debris elsewhere in the trans and should I just get another tranny? Can debris get into the torque converter?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The fluid goes directly from the pump to the converter, so the converter and cooler/lines will need to be replaced/flushed.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:23 PM
zgp
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shift2007
Well my pump in my 4L60E blew up, the rotor broke in quite a few places and destroyed the pump. I am wondering what I should do next. There were no shavings or debris found in the pan itself, however one of the pump vanes was found inside the filter, but nothing else. I am wondering if the debris could have gone elsewhere in my trans? If so how do I go about fixing the trans, is it as simple as throwing a new pump in it? Or is there likely debris elsewhere in the trans and should I just get another tranny? Can debris get into the torque converter?
Aside from flushing the cooler the return oil from the cooler which has that debris or shaving in it is used to lubricate the center parts of the transmission. So there is a good chance that metal is in the center parts of the transmission which could cause other problems in the near future.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

I wouldnt risk it nows a good time to rebuld it!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:11 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah it sucks because I bought it with supposedly 0 miles on it. It is literally like brand new. Came in a GMPP crate and everything. However it was purchased off a classifieds site about 2 or 3 years ago and I didnt find out about this problem till now

Quick Reply: 4L60E Pump Grenade - Now What?