Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is wrong with my trans, dipstick nonsense

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what is wrong with my trans, dipstick nonsense

this is 4l60e in a 99 fbody with gears, bolt ons, and some spray.

so when we stuck my car on the dyno it was acting funny. we pull the dipstick with the car off and the dipstick tube is full to the brim and has nasty fluid in it. i take it home and service it and the pan and filter were nasty as was the fluid and drive it a few weeks and rip on it and it stays just at the full mark with clean fluid. so it goes back to the dyno. no issues. get it home drive it around and still nothing. i had a race a few days ago. the trans felt like it shifted really sloppy into 3rd on the 2-3 shift. it was in the back of my mind and i ripped it comin home and it shifted fine.

so i drove it to work today and it seemed perfectly fine till i stopped at a stop sign. i went to take off and it was fine till the 2-3 shift. mind you im just easy driving/cruising throttle. it felt really goofy and sloppy goin into 3rd. so i check the fluid in the parking lot and as i pull the dipstick out im shot with fluid flying out of the dipstick and it went everywhere.

it still drives fine i just know its on its way out the door. im just sort of curious what exactly is going on and what part is failing or attempting to fail. im already thinkin its time for a built trans so im savin up and ive already found a good deal im just curious whats happening and what is causing it.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the vent tube
Old 08-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Launching!

what am i looking for to be wrong with it should it be routed somewhere and it simpley came off or could it be smashed or pinched closed or something? does it actually go somewhere or does it just hang out up there?

im just kinda curious what exactly i need to look for in all this because id like to at least have some fun with the car and control this as much as i can while i pool up some money.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like the vent tube is blocked this will also cause areation and strange trans performance and possible damage

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Ill look at it and see what I cant discover I hope its a simple fix like movin the vent tube