Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e Bellhousing broke and dip stick question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e Bellhousing broke and dip stick question

well the other night i realized there was a little bit of vibration coming from my car, didnt think much of it since i have solid motor mounts and the tires have a couple of small gashes in them.. anyways i did like a 20-50 roll and when i went to manually shift the car it didnt really want to shift.. so i let off and it did, anyways pull off to a gas station and checked everything as much as i could(cant get under the car) so once i put it in reverse it went in way to easy, so i put in park again and put in reverse. again way to easy, well i figured i was on my way home so i could limp it home... nope when i tried to put in D i hear a terrible noise and shut the car off immediately, and saw the trans at a angle well after a $350 tow bill and a few hrs later, it was back in the garage and up on blocks.. well sure enough the bellhousing broke all the way around.. im pretty sure my driveshaft was a little to long which is why the issues is there.. so i have been looking around and it seems that they make aftermarket bellhousings has anyone did this?? has pics? its rated to be 600 times stronger then stock so i am definitely in. lol i am just curious if anyone has ever had this problem... also my trans dip stick always poped out of the tube(i think its kind of wore) so does anyone know if you can get a dip stick out of another 4l60 that has the locking dip? i had a 95 blazer that had a locking dipstick, but dont know if they would be the same.. any info on that would be awesome!! thanks guys sorry for all the blahh! here is a carnage pic!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You didn't break the bellhousing, you broke the trans case. They are not two pieces like an LS 4l60e. Looks like you are gonna need a new trans.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW!!!

just out of curiosity what kind of trans mount do you have? oem, poly, solid?
Old 08-12-2011, 10:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mentioned that you have solid motor mounts and that your driveshaft is too long. First, what sort of tranny mount are you running? 9 times out of 10 the reason for that sort of a case failure is mounting. Think about it for a minute, if your motor and transmission are mounted solidly to the chassis and then you whack the throttle, the body flexes right? Well the weak spot in that equation is the transmission case. Thats why we do not run solid transmission mounts unless we have front and rear midplates...even in big tire, big horsepower chassis cars.

As far as an aftermarket bellhousing for a 60e I am not aware of one. I am a Dealer for Transmission Specialties and ATI, have been at this for a while now and do not remember seeing one. Can you get me the manufacturers name and a part number please?

You have a lot more going on than just a busted case. A stronger bellhousing is not the answer, it is a patch. Meaning, you do not want the engine and transmission to provide rigidity in your car. They were never designed for that. The SFI rated transmission cases are designed for safety, they are designed to withstand ballistic situations. Now, that doesn't mean that guys don't cut stock cases and put cases on for pure safety reason. It means that they have to do something to keep from breaking cases... And a lot of times the bellhousing is a band aid.

Give me a call and we can discuss your combination in depth, I don't mind making some recommendations for you. I work with very fast, big tire chassis cars all the time and very much understand what you're up against.

g
Old 08-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
You mentioned that you have solid motor mounts and that your driveshaft is too long. First, what sort of tranny mount are you running? 9 times out of 10 the reason for that sort of a case failure is mounting. Think about it for a minute, if your motor and transmission are mounted solidly to the chassis and then you whack the throttle, the body flexes right? Well the weak spot in that equation is the transmission case. Thats why we do not run solid transmission mounts unless we have front and rear midplates...even in big tire, big horsepower chassis cars.

As far as an aftermarket bellhousing for a 60e I am not aware of one. I am a Dealer for Transmission Specialties and ATI, have been at this for a while now and do not remember seeing one. Can you get me the manufacturers name and a part number please?

You have a lot more going on than just a busted case. A stronger bellhousing is not the answer, it is a patch. Meaning, you do not want the engine and transmission to provide rigidity in your car. They were never designed for that. The SFI rated transmission cases are designed for safety, they are designed to withstand ballistic situations. Now, that doesn't mean that guys don't cut stock cases and put cases on for pure safety reason. It means that they have to do something to keep from breaking cases... And a lot of times the bellhousing is a band aid.

Give me a call and we can discuss your combination in depth, I don't mind making some recommendations for you. I work with very fast, big tire chassis cars all the time and very much understand what you're up against.

g
the car has a energy suspension poly trans mount, and the one for the 700r4(4l60e) is http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JP...ET&prefilter=1
i have another chromoly driveshaft that i will be getting cut shorter, i think that is the problem.

Quick Reply: 4l60e Bellhousing broke and dip stick question