Wear on hub/sprag assembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Wear on hub/sprag assembly

Wear on the surface that rides on the planet

Also this wear on the input drum thrust surface

So the Top of the planet doesn't have any wear so I assume this was a patch job, put a new planet, and threw the worn sprag assembly on there. Will this be fine? Or I have to replace that piece? Can't find the piece itself just the whole assembly.

Also, the input thrust surface is scored up can feel it alot with my fingernails. Will this be fine? The 68 Selective washer is also scored, but since the bearing rides on the smooth side of the washer, will it be fine if clearance checks out? Don't really Wana go looking for another drum sigh lol
Old 01-01-2023, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 309 Likes on 210 Posts

I don't usually see the wear on the input sprag race retainer unless the captured torrington bearing in the front planet is bad. The input shaft appears to be damaged from a worn rear stator bushing, It may be the picture angle.
Old 01-01-2023, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Tranzman
I don't usually see the wear on the input sprag race retainer unless the captured torrington bearing in the front planet is bad. The input shaft appears to be damaged from a worn rear stator bushing, It may be the picture angle.
thanks for replying
I checked the front planet captured bearing and seems okay, no chatter or binding. First 60e i have ever attempted though so I could be missing something. Someone was in this trans before. Top of planet looks perfect, also noticed that the race retainer doesnt come into contact with the top of the planet? I added a ton of assembly goo and theres none stuck to the surface of the planet when i temporarily insert the sun gear/ sprag assembly. Also, one side of the bronze cage (not sure what to call it) is scored up similar to the surface of that 3-4 drum. Is that fine? The rear of the input sprag race retainer has a ton of hot spots (rainbow discoloration) as well. Just trying to see if I can use it or just buy a new sprag assembly?

the input shaft is smooth where the stator bushing goes, seems like it was just a reflection of the scored area where the selective washer goes. Is this wear acceptable on the drum?
Old 01-01-2023, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 309 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by subeone
thanks for replying
I checked the front planet captured bearing and seems okay, no chatter or binding. First 60e i have ever attempted though so I could be missing something. Someone was in this trans before. Top of planet looks perfect, also noticed that the race retainer doesnt come into contact with the top of the planet? I added a ton of assembly goo and theres none stuck to the surface of the planet when i temporarily insert the sun gear/ sprag assembly. Also, one side of the bronze cage (not sure what to call it) is scored up similar to the surface of that 3-4 drum. Is that fine? The rear of the input sprag race retainer has a ton of hot spots (rainbow discoloration) as well. Just trying to see if I can use it or just buy a new sprag assembly?

the input shaft is smooth where the stator bushing goes, seems like it was just a reflection of the scored area where the selective washer goes. Is this wear acceptable on the drum?
I have re-used sprag housing that have been in a front planet failure in the past, you can press the old sun gear out and press the new in. The retainer is just an item that hold the sprag itself in place. It is designed to have clearance, but when the planet captured bearing falls the clearance it lost. That could be the case here.
The end caps to the sprag wear on the overrun hub side, I have had to replace many of those. I always put in a new sprag assembly. The Borg-Warner 29-element has different end caps and can be used in either the stepped hub or the flat hub..
As long as the inside and outside races are smooth they can be re-used. I use a piece of red Scotch-Brite pad (07443) to give a cross hatch pattern to the outer race and a rough up of the inner race.
I have seen a few input drums that are a little rough on the selective washer surface and have re-used them. I always check the input clearance with an H-gauge before assembly. If you don't have an H-gauge. Install the input drum W/O the 3-4 clutches or the reverse input drum. Install the selective washer, the bearing & the pump gasket. Install the pump assembly W/O the pump o-ring. Tighten the pump snugly, but not torqued. Lift the input shaft with a pair of pliers around the input shaft splines. Remember the pump gasket will compress to about 1/2 of it's new thickness. The factory spec is .005-.036.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Quick Reply: Wear on hub/sprag assembly