Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e new trans vibration in 3rd only.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e new trans vibration in 3rd only.

i purchased a lvl 2 trans from performabuilt and just installed it last night. my previous trans when in 3rd it had a partial vibration. now when im in 3rd with the new one the vibration is alot worst in 3rd above 2500 rpms vibration gets only slightly worst with higher rpms and vibration exists w torque converter lock up and with converter not locked. any advise is appreciated. reading on here someone says to get a rubber mount. i have poly MM's and trans mount is poly also torque arm bar poly. and the vibration is not in any other gear.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I'm no trans expert, but I have read other posts about people experiencing vibration because their HD trans used the "Beast shell", which despite its excellent strength reputation is actually cheaply built and not balanced. (Balancing can weaken the shell due to the holes drilled for balancing).
Since the shell is held solid in 2nd and 4th gear, it is only spinning in 1st and 3rd gear and you probably notice it more in 3rd.
I have read here many posts recommending the stock rubber trans mounts instead of the poly one to reduce the vibration.
I am rebuilding a 4L60E and a 4l65E right now and talked to several trans builders for shell recommendations. Two recommended the Sonnax Smart Shell to avoid the vibration issues and I bought that for the 4L60E. One didn't think the Sonnax would work in a 4L65E and for that I bought a beast. The Sonnax shell is still somewhat unproven and most HD rebuilders therefore prefer The Beast to be on the safe side.
Just my opinion.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Teching In

what your saying makes complete sense, but my old trans did not have the beast shell. and im almost positive its not my converter. not sure if its driveshaft or rear end causing vibration. im just nervous about it causing issues.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a vibration in 3rd after the beast shell install....The beast sunshell is NOT balanced. Things I did to help was installing the wider rear sunger bushing, installing the wider/teflon coated stator support bushing, installing sonnax teflon coated thrush washer, and replacing the 2-4 drum that comes with new bushings...I did all of these at once and no more vibrations in 3rd gear were noticed....I can't way which on did what but all of them were fairly cheap and solved the issue
Old 01-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Teching In

ok thanks for the advice im thinking ill probably just leave it alone for now and deal with it, just was curious if it sounded like anything to be concerned about to anyone
Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive had a vibration in 3rd in my trans since I got it from xtreme performance. Sent it back and they couldnt find anything wrong with it. Had a local shop check it out and couldnt find anything either. The idea about the beast sun shell, sound interesting. I am going to look at replacing mine as well.

OP, Do you get the vibration at WOT?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Teching In

yes it seems to get worst with rpms only slightly though. is your affected by throttle position?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the wider bushings.....period
Old 02-02-2012, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EGBLACKZ
yes it seems to get worst with rpms only slightly though. is your affected by throttle position?
MIne is not
Old 02-05-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update?????

Quick Reply: 4l60e new trans vibration in 3rd only.