LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Automatic Transmission (https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission-13/)
-   -   4l80e 4x4 to 2wd (https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/1521996-4l80e-4x4-2wd.html)

malibutwins 03-02-2012 05:58 PM

4l80e 4x4 to 2wd

What parts will I need to convert a x 4l80e to a 2wd? It is a l80e out of a 2001 3500 hd. I am doing a full rebuild with a Jakes performance trans brake. Oh and it is going in a 79 malibu.

malibutwins 03-04-2012 05:04 PM

Anybody? what is the best output shaft and tail shaft

matt99ss 06-13-2012 07:00 PM

You need the output shaft and tailhousing from a 2wd 4L80E. I have those parts and am working with a 2wd 4l80E. Where are you located? I would be glad to trade. I sent you a PM.

SnIpEz 06-14-2012 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by malibutwins (Post 16042779)
Anybody? what is the best output shaft and tail shaft

Output shaft and tail shaft are the same thing. Maybe you meant tail housing? There is no "best" output shaft, there is just an output shaft for the application. If it's a 2wd 4L80E, you need a 2wd output shaft and the proper tail housing for the shaft, as mentioned above. If the guy above is willing to trade you, I'd definitely do that.

chris092183 06-15-2012 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by malibutwins (Post 16036301)
What parts will I need to convert a x 4l80e to a 2wd? It is a l80e out of a 2001 3500 hd. I am doing a full rebuild with a Jakes performance trans brake. Oh and it is going in a 79 malibu.

You will also need to remocve the 4x4 cup plug that is on the passenger side of the trans in the back. you can see this plug when you remove the 4x4 extension housing. you will also need another speed sensor and a reluctor wheel pressed on for the rear planet/output carrier. If you haven't bought the 4x4 unit already I suggest you just get a 2wd unit and be done with it. YOu can throw the carrier and reluctor into the freezer to ease pressing it on.
you can get all the need parts on craigslist for about 200 or so but I would trade the guy that wants to trade if youo already have the 4x4 unit and you are going to do the swap.

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz (Post 16417115)
Output shaft and tail shaft are the same thing. Maybe you meant tail housing? There is no "best" output shaft, there is just an output shaft for the application. If it's a 2wd 4L80E, you need a 2wd output shaft and the proper tail housing for the shaft, as mentioned above. If the guy above is willing to trade you, I'd definitely do that.

WHat he said.

Also I'm assuming you are thinking billet or some other high strength steel when you say "best", just use a stock one and you will be fine unless you have serious power. If you do have serious power make sure you have Jake throw one of his input shafts, intermesiate shafts and his rollered billet clutch hubs on the order. Give him a call and he will point you in the right direction. You will also need to do some other mods as well. I would get the long tail shaft with the long splines-make sure the new yoke you get mathces the tail shaft. Some yokes have splines only partially through the inside diameter. ALso don't just buy an excessively long yoke and think you can just cut it down with a sawzall, hacksaw etc. I know people have done it but you will have burrs on the splines which WILL bind on the output shaft. The bevel is there for a reason.

SnIpEz 06-16-2012 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by chris092183 (Post 16422056)
Also I'm assuming you are thinking billet or some other high strength steel when you say "best", just use a stock one and you will be fine unless you have serious power. If you do have serious power make sure you have Jake throw one of his input shafts, intermesiate shafts and his rollered billet clutch hubs on the order. Give him a call and he will point you in the right direction. You will also need to do some other mods as well. I would get the long tail shaft with the long splines-make sure the new yoke you get mathces the tail shaft. Some yokes have splines only partially through the inside diameter. ALso don't just buy an excessively long yoke and think you can just cut it down with a sawzall, hacksaw etc. I know people have done it but you will have burrs on the splines which WILL bind on the output shaft. The bevel is there for a reason.

What he said ;)

Give Jake's a call, either Mike or I will pick up the phone and guide you for whatever application that 80e is meant for :D

Chandler Lopez 01-24-2019 03:23 PM

4l80e 4x4 to a 4x2

What do I need to do with the speed sensors to make a stand alone controller work?

MaroonMonsterLS1 01-24-2019 11:51 PM

Did you just reply to a 7 year old thread...with a question not even directly related to the thread? I see it is your first post. You need to either learn some basic forum procedure...or get kicked from the page