Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think is my problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think is my problem?

I've got a 2000 Z28 A4. Original tranny blew and new one was put in 3 years and 3 months ago.

It started messing up recently, it wouldnt shift into 4th gear. Now it wont shift into 3rd. It goes into R,1,&2 but no 3 or 4. RPMs go up but wont catch gear. Any ideas?

Also, how much (roughly) would it be to rebuild it with a shift kit at a shop? Any other things you would do on a rebuild? Cant be too crazy, im only 20 and money doesnt come easy for me. My plans for the final outcome would be full bolt ons, geared and possibly heads/cam so I dont need something crazy. Gonna be a weekend car.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the 3-4 clutch is fried. The most common failure of a stock 4l60e. Often times the input housing is poorly machined from the factory and for whatever reason will cause the 3-4 clutch to burn up. It could also just be from hard driving as well. Like I mentioned, that is the weak point clutch wise in these transmissions. There are lots of upgrade options, you can go with a z-pack from raybestos or I am sure there are plenty of builders that have their own tricks up their sleeves for beefing up the 3-4 clutch. While you are in the trans, I would suggest upgrading the reaction shell they sell one called "the beast" that has worked well for me. Price depends on if you are going to pull it and bring it to a shop or have them R&R it as well. Safe to say probably close to a grand at least to have it done. Others can chime in with their ideas and prices. Make sure you FLUSH your cooler and lines no matter how you decide to do it, either have the tranny shop do it, (most require it on a rebuild anyway) or if you pull it yourself, buy a cooler flush can Lubegard makes one that works reasonably well. DO NOT SKIP that step or you could be rebuilding again before you know it. HTH. If you want any other info lmk. I'll help if I can. Other upgrades to consider would be the 5 planet carriers that can be found in the truck 4l65e transmissions that came in escalades and the silverado ss etc. They also have a 6clutch 3-4 pack that has a bit more holding power. Def. would suggest a shift kit as well when you do the rebuild. They aren't that expensive, and can help firm up the shifts so they slip less under heavy acceleration.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

auto magic transmissions... hard to find a good one... harder to find a good builder for them
Old 04-03-2012, 09:32 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

You are likely experiencing the most common problem with 4L60E trans - premature wear out of the 3/4 clutch. Have a reputable trans shop confirm that for you.
Assuming that is it, you will need a rebuild which probably should include some higher quality parts.
I don't know what a quality rebuild at a local shop will cost you; I'll just guess at $1500+ plus $300 for a shift kit plus $400 to remove/install it. For a few hundred more you can buy a performance built trans from one of the sponsors.
This forum is full of sob stories of people trying to go cheaper than that and wasting their money and time.

There are probably a dozen similar threads in just the past few weeks on this forum. They will tell you all about performance parts.

Edit: Good info and advice from DJNight2K.