Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E swap now no TC lockup

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sent the torque converter back to Circle-D and it ended up being an internal o-ring was accidentally left out. They quickly got it fixed and shipped back out that same day. Put everything back in tonight and the converter locks now! Much better!

Thanks Jake for helping me through this. Thanks Chris for tightening up the converter for me. I'm much happier with it now.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralls
Sent the torque converter back to Circle-D and it ended up being an internal o-ring was accidentally left out. They quickly got it fixed and shipped back out that same day. Put everything back in tonight and the converter locks now! Much better!

Thanks Jake for helping me through this. Thanks Chris for tightening up the converter for me. I'm much happier with it now.
Good deal!
I was 99% confident it wasn't going to be the transmission because it passed dyno here. Anything can happen and believe me, we see some strange stuff sometimes.

We make mistakes too so I was hoping this wasn't the case because a transmission is a bigger pain to ship and more costly than a converter.

The lockup is obvious on our dyno because the little 4 banger dyno engine lugs when you go into lockup. It's one reason we prefer to dyno with the converter going with the trans when possible.

Glad you got it sorted out though. How's the trans work?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad it is all good now..... And sorry for all your extra troubles.

Chris
Old 05-04-2012, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

The trans is great. I haven't been able to really lay into it though. I need a retune first. I can't wait for that first moment when I launch it then shift to 2nd without slipping through shifts.

4l60e
Old 09-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Just got my jakes performance 4l80e installed and having the same problem as the OP. No TC lockup and throwing a p02769 code. I'm wondering if something is up with my converter as well. Jake/Joecar, any ideas? I have a 2007 Trailblazer SS, 4l80e swap using PCM harness. Stock 4l70e tune. Help

FYI, trans is working great. Shifts into every gear. I'm just seeing 700-900 slip on the dashhawk when it would otherwise be locked up, ie, 52-60Mph at cruise/light accel.

Last edited by jd_ss; 09-23-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:56 AM
FormerVendor

Delete the code.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:59 AM
Teching In

We tried deleting it numerous times but it comes back. And regardless of the code, the TC will not go into lockup. Should I follow same troubleshooting steps as the OP? Sent you an email as well Jake...

The difference between my and the OP's situation, as far as I can tell, is that I am getting DTCs, whereas the OP was not. So, I'm thinking my problem is in fact an electrical issue, whereas the OP's turned out to be mechanical.

Jake, you mentioned that my trans was dyno tested. I'm assuming that you cannot check lockup on the dyno without a converter..? Basically, I'm asking if there is any way that my TCC solenoid could be bad?

I guess I need to start electrical diagnosis first. I'll start with the simple stuff like checking for bent pins, and go from there. Any suggestions appreciated... I would really hate to have to pull the trans. I'm on trans #4 at this point and R&R is getting old.

Last edited by jd_ss; 09-23-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:21 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jd_ss
We tried deleting it numerous times but it comes back. And regardless of the code, the TC will not go into lockup. Should I follow same troubleshooting steps as the OP? Sent you an email as well Jake...

The difference between my and the OP's situation, as far as I can tell, is that I am getting DTCs, whereas the OP was not. So, I'm thinking my problem is in fact an electrical issue, whereas the OP's turned out to be mechanical.

Jake, you mentioned that my trans was dyno tested. I'm assuming that you cannot check lockup on the dyno without a converter..? Basically, I'm asking if there is any way that my TCC solenoid could be bad?

I guess I need to start electrical diagnosis first. I'll start with the simple stuff like checking for bent pins, and go from there. Any suggestions appreciated... I would really hate to have to pull the trans. I'm on trans #4 at this point and R&R is getting old.
The best answer I can give is, we dyno test the units before they ship and it isn't leaving unless we verify lockup, which we do on the dyno.
We have no control over a converter supplied from elsewhere.
We have no control over the installation, tuning, or wiring.
I see this same scenario WAY too often, and it is more often than not, a tuning or wiring issue. Once in a rare while it can be a converter issue. Even rarer, an internal trans issue.

A code, almost any DTC, can cause a no lockup condition. You need to go into the tune, uncheck that DTC, and set it to No Error Reported. If your tuner doesn't now this, find another (real) tuner.

I doubt it's a TCC solenoid.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:23 AM
FormerVendor

And BTW, the DTC you posted isn't correct, it has too many digits.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. I understand and appreciate what you are saying. The interesting thing about the code I am getting (P02769) is that it shows up as a trouble code, but there is no way to disable the code... It is not listed in HP Tuners PRO or EFI Live. I sat there in my truck tonight and we went through all of the codes listed in both software suites and neither of them have P02769 listed, even though that IS the code showing up for me. I witnessed this with my own eyes. Am I missing something?

I am not criticizing or blaming your trans or even the torque converter. I'm just trying to find a solution and brainstorming.

the transmission feels great. The shifts are great and smooth. I'm not sure I love the converter yet, but that is besides the point.

Also, I have a great and very competent tuner...
Old 09-23-2013, 01:35 AM
FormerVendor

There isn't any such thing as a P02769.
You have too many digits.

P0276
P0279
P2769

P is for a Powertrain code, the the next 4 digits are universal and represent the fault.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Sorry, P2769****
Old 09-23-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have the tcc hooked up to "tcc pwm" or tcc enable" pin? What ecm you using?
Old 09-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Hi all,

Thanks for your help thus far. I found the problem with no TC Lockup! There was a broken wire in the PCMForLess harness that I purchased. Actually, the copper part of the wire was nearly completely broken, (hence the low voltage code) but the insulation was still intact. It was lucky that I was able to even find it without ohming out the wires, but I did, and now the TC locks up great.

Overall the transmision feels great. It shifts fast and feels very stout.

I am chasing down another gremlin though, which I don't think is transmission related, but I was hoping to get your input/thoughts...

Before fixing the broken TCC wire, I was able to easily break the rear tires loose and felt good power in 1st gear. However, now, in first gear it feels like I don't have much power. When it shifts into 2nd, it's like all of the power comes back. It is hard to explain and I thought I might be going crazy, so I had a buddy drive the truck (he too owned a RWD TBSS with mild bolt-ons) and he agreed that something definitely did not feel right.

The engine tune is good and AFR is 12.8 under WOT. The engine feels and sounds great, but it's like the power just isn't making it back to the rear wheels somehow. Could this be torque management related? I only had 20% of the TQ MGMT removed from the stock 4l70e tune. It's weird because I am now unable to break the tires loose from a dead stop when stalling up to 2500-3000 RPM (I have a 3600 stall). It is just an absolute dog out of the hole.

To put it into perspective, I lost a first gear stoplight race against a stock 2008-2010'ish Ford F150 today. My wife was in the truck and agreed that something is just whack about first gear. On a 25mph to 35mph downshift from 2nd, it feels as though the truck is about to take off, but the power somehow never makes it back to the wheels. Something just isn't adding up here!

Any insight? I'd really appreciate some input on this...

Thanks for all -

JD
Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

More info on P2769:

www.atra.com/bulletins/2009/mar/atb1244.pdf‎
Old 10-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks Joecar. I resolved the p2769 code by fixing the broken conversion harness wire. The TC now locks up great.

However, now I am getting some significant power loss in 2nd gear. Specially, when I downshift from 3>2. First gear feels strong (when not in "3"), and 2nd gear feels strong on the 1>2 upshift. However, if I downshift from 3>2, 2nd gear feels absolutely slow until I shift back into 3rd.

Per the instructions on my harness:
-Max out Trans Component Diagnostic Enable Temp in Trans Diag Tab
-Ignore front VSS sensor (leave unplugged) and disable input speed sensor (if applicable)

However, I confirmed with my tuner tonight that he had already done the max temp value. So, now everything is feeling great with the transmission, but the power loss issue is boggling. I am stumped. The only thing left to do that I can think of is modify P0717 input Speed Sensor Circuit Low Voltage to Disable (even though I am no longer getting this code) and completely remove torque management.

Jake told me that the fluid may be aerated, so I'll check that after some more driving. I can't think of what else this problem could be. After 45 minutes of hard driving, my trans temp (per the Dashhawk) spiked to 230-240*. Yikes. I'm running a stand alone B&M Cooler mounted in the brake duct

Any insight?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Which model B&M cooler...?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Something to think about:

- in Manual 1st, the Low/Reverse Band is applied (and in D3/D4 1st gear it is released);
- in Manual 2nd, the Manual 2-1 Band is applied (and in D3/D4 2nd gear it is released);

those two conditions may point to potential problems with adjacent components...
Old 10-02-2013, 08:57 AM
FormerVendor

It shifted/ran fine before fixing the wiring issue for TCC correct?

Go back to your last step and figure out what you changed. You fixed the TCC but now you have a shifting problem.

I would kill ALL torque management. It's a 4L80E, not a 4L60E. Guys always worry about how much power a 4L80E consumes but it probably puts more to the ground with no TQ management than a 60 does with a safe tune.

You may need to look at the ETC tables. I had to tune the ETC out of a truck here recently because it would lose power (badly) on every shift.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Just to clarify, I think the transmission is working perfectly fine. It shifts great and feels good. I don't think I have a transmission problem. I think my problem is definitely tune related, somehow. That is what I am trying to figure out.

I'll remove TM
I'll ensure the max enable/disable diag temps are maxed out.

Here is the cooler I'm using:

http://www.pcmofnc.com/index.php/per...mission-cooler

I think it's this one (B&M 70266): http://www.bmracing.com/bmshop/index...roducts_id=135

I don't know the part # but I think it's 20,500 btu. Sounds like I need to upgrade to a bigger cooler.

Last edited by jd_ss; 10-02-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 4L80E swap now no TC lockup