Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80e Full manual vs electronic shifted looking for pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80e Full manual vs electronic shifted looking for pros and cons

Im going to be purchasing a 4L80 for my current build and am looking for input on everyones preferences of a full manual valve body or leaving it electronicly shifted. Is it more a matter or prersonal preference or is there pro's and cons to either. Anyone with input please post. Will be running a trans brake. Which i have read that Jakes newest brake allows for launching from any gear and computer controlled shifts.

Thanks to anyone with input!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

i had a tci manual vb with a transbrake and also a transgo stage 3 setup in my 4l80e and have changed to jakes T/Brake VB and manualizer plug and its great! hands down the best way to go and if i ever want to go auto again ill just pull out the plug and get a tranny controller
Old 07-02-2012, 08:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I prefer to run one in automatic configuration.

We include our manual controller with transmission purchase for those who wish to use it that way. This allows our customers to save the cost initially of buying a controller but allows them to go to automatic control as a plug-n-play change later on. No valve body changing, not even necessary to remove the pan.

For those who are doing a budget build a using a used unit or another builder's unit, then it's not as cost effective to use full manual control.

$200 for our manual control box or $590 for the Optishift (now U.S. Shift).

It is well worth the additional $400 to have a computer controlling shifts, line pressure, etc.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

I'm using Jakes fmvb manually shifting and I love it.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

thanks to anyone thats responded so far.

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I prefer to run one in automatic configuration.

We include our manual controller with transmission purchase for those who wish to use it that way. This allows our customers to save the cost initially of buying a controller but allows them to go to automatic control as a plug-n-play change later on. No valve body changing, not even necessary to remove the pan.

For those who are doing a budget build a using a used unit or another builder's unit, then it's not as cost effective to use full manual control.

$200 for our manual control box or $590 for the Optishift (now U.S. Shift).

It is well worth the additional $400 to have a computer controlling shifts, line pressure, etc.
when you say its well worth having the computer controlling shifts and other functions, was wondering if you could elaborate on that alittle more as to what you feel the benifits are. Does it make for increased trans life, ease of driving, better tuning for the track...?

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 69blueSS

when you say its well worth having the computer controlling shifts and other functions, was wondering if you could elaborate on that alittle more as to what you feel the benifits are. Does it make for increased trans life, ease of driving, better tuning for the track...?

Thanks!
All of the above.

Just a better driving experience overall. The transmission has the capability of running electronically, to "dummy" it down to a full manual is going backwards.
You can have an automatic controller and still manually shift when you fell the urge, but it's nice to be able to just put it in OD and go too.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 69blueSS

Thanks!
All of the above.

Just a better driving experience overall. The transmission has the capability of running electronically, to "dummy" it down to a full manual is going backwards.
You can have an automatic controller and still manually shift when you feel the urge, but it's nice to be able to just put it in OD and go too.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ yes I have had a 80 with a manual vb its was fun for the first month then got old really quick. the new one is electronic, looking to go low 9s/hi 8s all factory ecm with the 80.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

The optishift is an amazing piece of hardware. Very SIMPLE, plug and play, and fully programmable on the device, or by laptop. Love love love mine.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:35 PM

Default 1996 4l80 paired with a 1968 327

What all do i need to make this pair work i got the electronic tranny with a non electronic 327?
Old 08-10-2019, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Gabe Young
What all do i need to make this pair work i got the electronic tranny with a non electronic 327?
First, you need to start your own thread. :-)
The following users liked this post:
MoreDoorNoGo (10-15-2023)
Old 08-12-2019, 07:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,214 Likes on 779 Posts

7 year old thread bump...really?
I've said it before and I'll say it again...new members need a waiting period on their account before they can post. Because this is another guy in a long line of "first posters" that just bump OLD *** threads.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's hard to win the forum game. If you bump an old thread, trying to add more info or gain more info, you get chastised. If you make a new thread asking about information already covered, you get chastised.
The following 4 users liked this post by kott0n:
biketopia (08-15-2019), Jimmyzeee (04-23-2022), Jrgunn5150 (08-14-2019), rel3rd (10-23-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,214 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by kott0n
It's hard to win the forum game. If you bump an old thread, trying to add more info or gain more info, you get chastised. If you make a new thread asking about information already covered, you get chastised.
You get chastised if it is your first post as a new user...and you're not adding any valuable info or asking a question that would add value to the thread.

I've bumped 6 year old threads before but I've either been correcting mis-information...answering a long unanswered question...or asking for clarification on a topic that had experts sharing info but never got all the way through to filling in the "holes" of the thread

This is just a first time user cluttering the forum and being clueless on how the internet works.

Quick Reply: 4L80e Full manual vs electronic shifted looking for pros and cons