Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e oil pump bushing worn

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e oil pump bushing worn

So I was driving down the road when I noticed that I was in 2nd gear cruising 50mph. haven't seen 3rd or 4th since. No symptoms prior to the incident. Fluid level and condition ok. No codes no cel. Pulled trans expecting to find burnt 3/4 pack but found plenty of clutch remaining. Found that the oil pump bushing had been worn away resulting in a severed lower nylon oring on input shaft. I plan to replace the nylon seals, input housing and shaft, oil pump bushings and associated gaskets. My question is this, should I be looking for the cause of the worn bushing or is this a normal failure of these trans? End play is within specs, everything seems fine.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:28 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by gmworldclasstech
So I was driving down the road when I noticed that I was in 2nd gear cruising 50mph. haven't seen 3rd or 4th since. No symptoms prior to the incident. Fluid level and condition ok. No codes no cel. Pulled trans expecting to find burnt 3/4 pack but found plenty of clutch remaining. Found that the oil pump bushing had been worn away resulting in a severed lower nylon oring on input shaft. I plan to replace the nylon seals, input housing and shaft, oil pump bushings and associated gaskets. My question is this, should I be looking for the cause of the worn bushing or is this a normal failure of these trans? End play is within specs, everything seems fine.
My understanding is that a misaligned stator shaft to oil pump housing will cause this problem. The stator shaft is pressed into the housing and if even a sliver of metal gets between the two, there will be a problem. The most likely cause of this was a previous rebuild.

Quick Reply: 4l60e oil pump bushing worn