Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny slips in all gears 1997 4l60e

Old 01-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny slips in all gears 1997 4l60e

A little history on the problem. I was leaving work and the guys were razzing me about doing a burnout when i left. I said fine.....I never do burnouts but ok. I didnt powerbrake or anything just a roll and smash the throttle. Held it in first and then to second and done, nothing crazy, down the road I went. It never hit the rev limiter or anything. I was driving about 45mph and 4 miles down the road and I notice white smoke coming from behind me. I pull into Wal-Mart parking lot and pop the hood. The tranny dip stick had backed out and fluid poured onto the header. I checked the fuid and it is good so I decide to drive easily home. Now my tranny shifts very easily and will shift into all gears but if I give it half trottle or more it slips in any gear. No more firm shifts is what I mean by shifts easy if that makes sense. Any ideas? 1997 Z28 with full exhaust and pcm4less tune, 3:73 gears and very mild TCI Streetfighter torque convertor.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

First, are you sure you have enough fluid in the trans? Sorry if this is obvious, but the fluid level is checked with the engine running.
I wonder if the dip stick didn't just "backed out", but was blown out by excessive pressure inside the trans which generally indicates something is overheating, e.g. the converter.
If the trans appears to be slipping in all gears, and the fluid level is OK, I would suspect either the pump or the converter. The pump is easily checked by connecting a pressure gauge to monitor line pressure. Any trans shop can easily do that for you.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I checked it while running. I will limp it to a tranny shop to see if it is the pump. Thanks for the response.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny slips in all gears 1997 4l60e