Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever use a “Monster Transmission” brand Torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever use a “Monster Transmission” brand Torque converter?

I’m in the process of getting a 3200 stall converter for my 2001 LQ4/4L80E combo that I’m getting ready to change cams in I was reviewing all brands etc and found “Monster transmissions” have a 2800-3200 stall converter that’s a single disk w/ lock up for $427.82 on the website. Here’s the specs
TORQUE CONVERTER SPECS
- 9.5 inch Diameter
- 6 Mounting pads
- 11 1/2 bolt circle
- 35 spline turbine
- 37 spline single stator
- 1.703 pilot
- Modified Stall Fin Angle

I did a search on this and lots of good/bad reviews on their transmissions but no info found on their converters.

Anyway I was curious to see what the story was on it considering its at least $250 cheaper as others I’m a little skeptical if ya know what I mean……
Old 01-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ksths2
I’m in the process of getting a 3200 stall converter for my 2001 LQ4/4L80E combo that I’m getting ready to change cams in I was reviewing all brands etc and found “Monster transmissions” have a 2800-3200 stall converter that’s a single disk w/ lock up for $427.82 on the website. Here’s the specs
TORQUE CONVERTER SPECS
- 9.5 inch Diameter
- 6 Mounting pads
- 11 1/2 bolt circle
- 35 spline turbine
- 37 spline single stator
- 1.703 pilot
- Modified Stall Fin Angle

I did a search on this and lots of good/bad reviews on their transmissions but no info found on their converters.

Anyway I was curious to see what the story was on it considering its at least $250 cheaper as others I’m a little skeptical if ya know what I mean……
I haven't tried a converter from them but Cory from monster gave excellent customer service when I bought my rebuild kit and a beast sunshell
If you have bad experience I'm pretty sure they will help you as much as they can...
Circle D has a 28-30 and 30-32 in that price range but from my understanding it is a modified trailblazer ss stall 285mm- 11"?
I am interested in hearing more on the converter from monster
Hopefully somebody will post a fair review
Old 07-02-2014, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump... I would like to hear any first hand reviews on this as well.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

These company "reviews" might help you decide:

http://monster-transmission.pissedconsumer.com/

http://www.bbb.org/west-florida/busi...le-fl-90008419

Also, until you get into Billet and/or $600+ converters, nearly all converters from all companies are modified GM converters. As Jake nicely documented (sorry don't have the thread link), converter companies buy kits of parts to modify the GM converters into the desired stall speed and STR.
Some companies simply spend more time fine-tuning the internals, like improving welds and taking the time to build them carefully. I'm confident Circle-D is one of them. Of course they also make higher end billet converters of their own design.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:47 AM
Teching In

I've used Patc Performance converters and they are crap, weak lockup clutch.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you are running a factory style torque tube, and drive plate. If this is the case, a regular LS style converter will not work. The C5 uses the early style 4L60 converter. We can set you up with a budget converter or one of our billet units.

-Brian
Old 07-10-2014, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

monster is local too me I have had a couple of their trans on my bench and is not pretty that's all I have to say much better with circle d
Old 07-10-2014, 02:21 PM

hmmmmm... Don't know much about that.

But I do know that FTI

<<<<Did this

www.FTIPerformance.com

Last edited by Mike Chavez; 07-10-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: wanted to help guide the post creator to the best possible option
Old 08-21-2014, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Yup, .Never again will i buy any monster product, Stall Claimed to be 2800-3000, Stalled at 2000. I also purchased a monster in a box rebuild kit. The tranny lasted about 3 months, Monster wouldnt honor the warranty because the parts set in the box for 2 months before i installed them, So when the Tranny actually started to go it was "out of warranty" with them. They were no help when i explained the situation to them, and i always had to call them back when i was told i would get a return call with regards to the issues going on with the transmission. I even offered to pull the transmission and send them the whole thing so they could see what went wrong, They said fine, but i would have to pay the shipping, and they still wouldnt fix anything for me.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NeXuS
Yup, .Never again will i buy any monster product, Stall Claimed to be 2800-3000, Stalled at 2000. I also purchased a monster in a box rebuild kit. The tranny lasted about 3 months, Monster wouldnt honor the warranty because the parts set in the box for 2 months before i installed them, So when the Tranny actually started to go it was "out of warranty" with them. They were no help when i explained the situation to them, and i always had to call them back when i was told i would get a return call with regards to the issues going on with the transmission. I even offered to pull the transmission and send them the whole thing so they could see what went wrong, They said fine, but i would have to pay the shipping, and they still wouldnt fix anything for me.
You bought a rebuild kit, rebuilt your own transmission, and when it failed you expected the vendor who sold you a kit to warranty it?
Old 08-21-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

$4-- is about going rate for a non-billet converter. Not sure where you are getting its cheaper. Now, if its not cheaper, and their transmissions are questionable, do we need to continue??
Old 08-22-2014, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

Jake, No I didnt rebuild it myself. I work at a Chevy Dealership. The Transmission mechanic her is the one who did the rebuild, Hes a Master Tech so I trust him. Had i done it myself i wouldn't have asked for a warranty as im not a transmission guy.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NeXuS
Jake, No I didnt rebuild it myself. I work at a Chevy Dealership. The Transmission mechanic her is the one who did the rebuild, Hes a Master Tech so I trust him. Had i done it myself i wouldn't have asked for a warranty as im not a transmission guy.
It doesn't matter who rebuilt it, if the transmission failed, the supplier of the kit is the last person who would be considered at fault.

The builder, installer, tuner, etc all have a hand in whether a transmission lives or fails. VERY rarely is the rebuild kit to blame. If there was an issue with the rebuild kit that required warranty, it should have been identified during the build.

I've been building transmissions for over 20 years and I can only lay blame on the rebuild materials causing a transmission failure TWO times. Each of those times was material that wasn't burnt that had delaminated from it's backing.
I called the vendor to see what they would do about it, and they wouldn't do anything. Not even replace the bad product.

If you had a transmission fail due to burnt clutches, it wasn't the clutches fault, or the company that sold you a rebuild kit.

The "Wal-Mart" mentality that is so prevalent today amazes me.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I have to agree with Jake on that one.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:31 PM
FormerVendor

Jake is completely right, the onus of the failure does not lay with the company who sold the parts. Quite honestly, I don't know for sure as I have done no business or association with monster, but there is a very good chance that they source their parts from the same manufacturer that I, or Jake, or many many many other shops use, they're simply just a re-seller. They are able to get it at a steep discount due to being a shop with a high volume of orders and upsell it to customers for a slight premium while often still remaining under normal retail price, so everyone gets a good deal. That's their only hand in it.

A 4L60E is so easy to **** up if you don't absolutely do it right it'd blow some of your minds. If the guy who had built it was the one who had supplied the parts as well, it would be entirely on him, however you sourced the parts yourself, so your best option would be to request a warranty on labor (however if you got the labor for free as a buddy thing, this probably would not apply), but getting new parts would be on you.

In short, it is very very very very VERY unlikely Monster had anything to do with the failure of your trans.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever use a “Monster Transmission” brand Torque converter?