Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1-2 Accumulator cracked, slow second gear apply

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1-2 Accumulator cracked, slow second gear apply

Long story short, I bought my old 99 Trans Am back with the knowledge that 2nd gear was acting screwy and very slow to apply... every other gear is solid... after searching here and several other places I pulled the accumulator and found the stock plastic piston cracked...

my question is, does it look bad enough that it would've leaked under pressure and cause the sloppy shift?

The pan was clean with only some minor dusting, no worse than any other time I've had the pan off.

Just an FYI, the car has 118K on it, it's had 3 different stall converters in it and around 250 track passes. It makes 350 rwhp and has a 3.73 gear. The transmission has never been built and never given any problems at all until this second gear issue that started about a month ago... when the problem started it was parked and put up for sale...

I've ordered the Sonnax pinless accumulator and new "firmer" springs but they haven't made it here yet...

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails 1-2 Accumulator cracked, slow second gear apply-10695135_4449794419747_2139753331_n.jpg  
Old 09-06-2014, 09:21 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The plastic pistons are notorious for breaking; unfortunate that GM ever used them instead of the sturdy aluminum pistons.
The Sonnax pinless piston is an excellent choice.
(To be thorough, I always like to add that the pinless 1-2 accumulator piston does not work with the Transgo HD2 springs, but of course works with the stock springs or the Sonnax Performance Pack springs.)

Yes, I think the crack would seriously affect the shift.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as a follow up, the cracked accumulator piston was not the issue. The 2nd gear band was shot. I tried the pinless accumulator with no change and upon checking the servo, there was almost a half an inch of travel. Even with that much travel, 4th gear held great but second was a no go.

I pulled the trans and swapped it for a known fresh rebuild from a wrecked car. The new trans has good parts in it and all the updates. I'll eventually get the old one built and have a spare.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Thank you for the update.
Sorry not to give you better advice - I took "sloppy shift" to mean there was a shifting problem, not that 2nd gear was gone.
Your update/feedback will help me give better advice in the future.

Quick Reply: 1-2 Accumulator cracked, slow second gear apply