Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lazy downshifting in 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Lazy downshifting in 4l60e

Lately my truck has been acting lazy on 1st gear downshifts. It seems like if I am accelerating moderately it will hold second gear until about the time I am ready to ease out of the throttle...then downshift. Most of the time if I roll in hard enough I want it to drop to first it seems to do the same thing...delay until I have accelerated to the point I no longer really need or want a downshift.

At first I was leaning to be something funny in the tune since I switched to the 2002 PCM operating system during my cam swap, but I am starting to think it may be something in the trans itself. I think the other day after coming to a stop the truck tried to take off in second instead of first.

Do any of you experts know the basics I should check before I start messing with solenoids in the pan? (if solenoids could be the issue?)

I haven't noticed this annoying behavior with 3-2, 4-3, or 4-2 downshifts.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

It sounds like it is something on the electrical side.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Have you tried logging data to see if its following the tune parameters? Have you commanded the shifts and see if it can complete them quicker? That's what I would check first.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Good idea. If that doesn't work I might just drop the pan and swap for some extra solenoids I have along with fresh fluid and filter. This fluid has around 25k on it I think. Maybe a little less.

I'll also try a compare between my stock tune and the current 02 OS tune looking specifically at the trans section for things that could be the issue.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Lately my truck has been acting lazy on 1st gear downshifts. It seems like if I am accelerating moderately it will hold second gear until about the time I am ready to ease out of the throttle...then downshift. Most of the time if I roll in hard enough I want it to drop to first it seems to do the same thing...delay until I have accelerated to the point I no longer really need or want a downshift.

At first I was leaning to be something funny in the tune since I switched to the 2002 PCM operating system during my cam swap, but I am starting to think it may be something in the trans itself. I think the other day after coming to a stop the truck tried to take off in second instead of first.

Do any of you experts know the basics I should check before I start messing with solenoids in the pan? (if solenoids could be the issue?)

I haven't noticed this annoying behavior with 3-2, 4-3, or 4-2 downshifts.
I'm having this problem right now
Old 10-22-2014, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Its possible you have restricted screens in one or more shift solenoids though I would lean towards a tuning/sensor issue myelf.

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: Lazy downshifting in 4l60e