Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E output shaft swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E output shaft swap questions

So im still new to the LS world. Ive got a 2wd 4l60e from an 06 GTO with about 70k on it and I need to swap the output shaft to work with my transfer case. Since Im basically pulling everything out Ill be on the look out for anything with obvious wear. Is there anything that definitely needs to replaced once I pull it all out.

Its gonna be mounted up to a stock LS2 and used for moderate 4 wheeling. Not looking to do any shift kits but is there anything that should be replaced or upgraded since im pulling it all out anyway. Good luck permitting, I rather not pull this thing again for a very long time.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id atleast replace the frictions if they look a little worn..aswell as the 2/4 band and the sunshell..the borgwarner double caged sprag would be a very good upgrade
Old 06-22-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're not looking to do a full rebuild and just looking to beef up the trans a bit and eliminate some of the errors prone to the 4L60Es I'd put in the following parts. Since you're going to have your trans out anyway these are some pretty cheap fixes that might prevent a full on rebuild in the future.

Upgrade the Sun Shell - OEM 4L60E sun shells are weak. Use a thicker aftermarket sun shell like one of these. http://www.gmtransmissionparts.com/7...60E-sunshells/ They are thicker and have a better weld. When people say they all of a sudden lost reverse it's this part that went.

Upgrade to the Corvette Servo if you like a little firmer 2-4 shift. Since you aren't rebuilding and won't have an overhaul kit you'll want to pick up one of these little servo and seal kits for under $20. http://www.gmtransmissionparts.com/7...ts-assemblies/ I would just the one with the seals and servo unless your pin looks pretty rounded out when you remove it from the tranny.

You might as well go ahead and replace the clutches. I use this Raybestos friction module in my rebuilds http://www.gmtransmissionparts.com/high-energy-friction-module-700r4-4l60e-1988-up/ The clutches that are prone to wear out are high energy and for under $50 it's a good deal on a performance module.

Then the final basic thing I'd replace is the band. Use this Raybestos ProSeries band. It's under $20 so again a no brainer to replace. http://www.gmtransmissionparts.com/2...4l65e-1982-up/

Those are the basic things I'd recommend replacing to someone in your situation. You might want to pickup a gasket and seal overhaul kit. They are pretty cheap and you don't have to use everything. If you aren't going to be in any racing or high-towing situations then I'd stay away from things like the 5-pinion planets, Z-paks, etc.

I hope this helps!
Old 06-25-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

backyardbrad's advice is good. However if the trans has much more than 100K on it you might consider a complete rebuild including new bushings.
GM upgraded the sun shell around 2004 and these later ones rarely fail. Best is the Sonnax Smart Shell which removes forces on the fragile rear planetary inner bearing.
I would also add a Sonnax boost valve to both raise the max line pressure and raise line pressure across the board. Your 2006 probably needs the Sonnax 4L60E-LB2 model (not the LB1 model).

Quick Reply: 4L60E output shaft swap questions