Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help diagnose transmission whine

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help diagnose transmission whine

So my transmission was making this whining noise so I changed out the fluid and filter. Also checked the shifter detent while I had the pan off it was perfect. Was thinking the cable had stretched or something was causing cable misalignment. Its a turbo 400 transmission with a manual valve body and still shifts perfect so I'm wondering what's causing this. Any ideas would be appreciated. Here's youtube link.

https://youtu.be/zNjfZqscUVE
Old 07-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

What year, Make & Model will help a lot. The noise moves with the trans. so i would think check the torque converter first, then front pump for wear, maybe a shim is wore out, i have heard some wierd noises when a planetary gear is really worn or getting ready to grenade. i think regardless of what it is you will have to remove trans. & disassemble slowly, checking parts carefully as you go to find the culprit. Before taking it apart, measure forward to back input shaft movement clearance. to see if it's a shim for your end play. I don't think i would continue to drive it with a noise like that. Unless the noise is a geared timing chain you just installed.

Last edited by thor68372rockon; 07-04-2015 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add

Quick Reply: Help diagnose transmission whine