Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e Trans go hd2 clutch spring kit necessary?

Old 08-25-2015, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4l60e Trans go hd2 clutch spring kit necessary?

After much debate I've decided to take my car into a local Trans shop for a build. The tech seemed very knowledgeable but the only thing I was curious about is the (7-CS) clutch spring kit.. he asked how high i would be revving and being over 5500 he recommended the Trans be completely removed to do the spring kit. I have a 2002 and through some searching it sounds as if improvements were already made for that year 4l60e. It sounds like he does a lot of 4l60e builds but for sake of labor savings i figured i would ask for some opinions. He quoted 600-650 for everything, which includes pulling the trans, installing the hd2 kit, R+R torque converter, R+R rear main seal. I'm not complaining about price, but maybe if I opt out of the spring kit it could drop it more in the 500-550 price range closer to what I was expecting.

If anyone could give some thoughts on this i would appreciate it. Just not sure if it's better to just do it to know the spring kit is ready to handle the rpms or if it was already updated by GM and a complete waste of time?

Also the Trans was rebuilt by the previous owner around 10k miles ago about 5 years ago and the info he provided stated the following parts were installed. Maybe this will make it easier to answer the question?

-Corvette servo 2nd and 4th
-Hi performance hi energy band
-Heavy duty input sprag
-Hi energy 3-4 clutches
-Heavy duty sun shell reaction she'll
-Heavy duty 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator piston
-Pressure boost valve
-Updated torque converter regulator valve

Thanks guys!

Last edited by RollinSScamaro; 08-26-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

What is making you decide to rebuild a trans with 10,000 miles on it? A bolt on car should not be ruining a 4l60e with the internals you mentioned in that amount of time.

That said, my dad installs the regular spring kit upgrade in every 4l60 build he does (standard kit is for up to 5500rpm shift points).

On mine we did do the high rpm spring kit you are talking about.

It sounds like the car is getting a torque converter installed so the trans will effectively be loose anyway. As cheap as this guy's labor is I doubt you save much money by not fully removing the trans for the spring upgrade.

I would also recommend the Sonnax HD 2-3 shift valve while you are in there. It applies the overrun clutches when the shifter is in the 3/D position which can then be used for racing rather leaving the trans in 4/OD and having it shift when you let off at the end of the track.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was more concerned that with the ss4000 I'll be installing I want to make sure my shifts are firm. It does seem like it shifts firm now but not sure if it will be enough with the stall.. it does seem much firmer than stock as it sits now. Unfortunately it doesn't say if a shift kit was installed or not and I'm not sure if the springs have been replaced. I could try to find who did the build and find out. If so I could skip that. But sounds like if it hasn't I should just let him install the springs to play it safe. Thanks for the response
Old 08-29-2015, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
I was more concerned that with the ss4000 I'll be installing I want to make sure my shifts are firm. It does seem like it shifts firm now but not sure if it will be enough with the stall.. it does seem much firmer than stock as it sits now. Unfortunately it doesn't say if a shift kit was installed or not and I'm not sure if the springs have been replaced. I could try to find who did the build and find out. If so I could skip that. But sounds like if it hasn't I should just let him install the springs to play it safe. Thanks for the response
Did you have the car tuned after the stall? Usually they can adjust the trans settings and get it to firm up the shifts. I know mine felt pretty loose shifting prior to the tune.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

The ss4000 isn't in yet but I plan on doing a frost mail order tune when it's done.. the shifts are pretty firm now and bark the tires from 1-2. It seems like the rebuild the previous owner did had some upgrades, just not sure if there is a shift kit or not. It feels like there could be, but afraid it won't be firm enough with the ss4000. I may just call the shop that did the original build and see if they still have it on record. I Just want to be sure I get it right the first time so it lasts and can handle the stall.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
The ss4000 isn't in yet but I plan on doing a frost mail order tune when it's done.. the shifts are pretty firm now and bark the tires from 1-2. It seems like the rebuild the previous owner did had some upgrades, just not sure if there is a shift kit or not. It feels like there could be, but afraid it won't be firm enough with the ss4000. I may just call the shop that did the original build and see if they still have it on record. I Just want to be sure I get it right the first time so it lasts and can handle the stall.
I dont blame you at all. Im regretting putting the 3200 in mine because next month im ripping it out for the 4k would of rather just did it once.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4l60e Trans go hd2 clutch spring kit necessary?