Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L65E Forward Sprag Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Default 4L65E Forward Sprag Questions

So long story short, I lost 3-4, and rebuilt my unit. It was my 1st rebuild. I bought parts from a vendor on here, and that was great. I got it back together, and within a week, the forward sprag went out. I couldn't blame anyone but myself for not replacing it when I rebuilt it.

I tore it back out, and all apart. Took EVERYTHING apart, and cleaned it in the parts washer. I changed the sun gear assembly with one from my parts transmission, but stuck a new sprag inside of it (BW steel cage). Everything looked good, and back together it went.

It has been together for about 3 weeks now. I rolled into the throttle pretty hard yesterday, and heard a noise. It reminded me of a belt squeeling. I believe I had heard this the last time, just before the sprag let loose. I am wondering, is there anything I may be missing, that could cause a forward sprag issue?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-29-2017, 05:56 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

When replacing the overrun sprag, you must inspect the inner race closely. It must be "flat" and very smooth. If flat, polish it with 600, 1000, and finally with 1500 sandpaper in direction of rotation. If it is not flat, it "must" be replaced. With the outer race it should be flat also, and roughen it up with 36 - 50 grit in direction of rotation. Rinse both thoroughly with mineral spirits. There are two late sprags from Borg Warner. The standard steel retainer 29 element with a dual cage and the later bronze retainer 29 element with a dual cage, one of these cages is nylon. This later sprag has 12.7% wider sprag elements than the standard sprag. You must use the 4L60E overrun hub when using this later bronze retainer sprag in the 700R4 transmission, otherwise rapid wear of the 700R4 bronze retainer that contacts the overrun hub will result.

Last edited by PBA; 08-29-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Thanks Dana. I have spoke with you about this when it happened. So far, it seems good. I will be calling soon again though, I have another question about my valvebody, that doesn't seem to make sense to me.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

I followed PBA instruction on how to get the sprag to live after I rolled two in a very short time. After two years so far so good. Thanks PBA for sharing this info.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What would cause a sprag to roll?
Old 09-04-2017, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by PBA
When replacing the overrun sprag, you must inspect the inner race closely. It must be "flat" and very smooth. If flat, polish it with 600, 1000, and finally with 1500 sandpaper in direction of rotation. If it is not flat, it "must" be replaced. With the outer race it should be flat also, and roughen it up with 36 - 50 grit in direction of rotation. Rinse both thoroughly with mineral spirits. There are two late sprags from Borg Warner. The standard steel retainer 29 element with a dual cage and the later bronze retainer 29 element with a dual cage, one of these cages is nylon. This later sprag has 12.7% wider sprag elements than the standard sprag. You must use the 4L60E overrun hub when using this later bronze retainer sprag in the 700R4 transmission, otherwise rapid wear of the 700R4 bronze retainer that contacts the overrun hub will result.
Power!!!! And not following how PBA says to prep the races.

Quick Reply: 4L65E Forward Sprag Questions