Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performa built trans line pressure/tune plz read have to explain :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Performa built trans line pressure/tune plz read have to explain :)

Ok here's the deal. I have a 99 Bolton t/a that has been dyno tuned. I'm adding a stage 1 performa built trans with yank 3600ss. I know I need to have it tuned for the converter. The thing is I would have to pay for a full dyno tune ($500) as the tune was done when my buddy owned the car. Question is can I send my Ecm to frost and just have them tune for my yank? I know the performa trans comes with boosted line pressure and my line pressure was turned up when it was dyno tuned. Performabuilt told me I would have to tell my tuner to return life pressure to stock and go from there. Plz advise. It's $150 vs $500. Don't want to pay for a dyno tune when I can get it right with email tune. Plz advise!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 07:45 PM
Launching!

I don't know why you'd have to have it dyno tuned for a converter. Anyone with HPTuners or EFI Live can lower the trans pressures and set up the idle a little for the converter. I'd check with couple of tuners in your area. I wouldn't think it would cost more than $100.00 for the trans settings. If you can't find someone local at a reasonable cost, a mail order tune would work although it's a lot better to actually have the have the car to set the idle speed for the converter.

Last edited by unit; 01-22-2016 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 01-22-2016, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

^^^^What he said. Mail order would be fine if you can't find someone locally.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Ditto. A dyno tune is overkill.
IMHO I think the differences between Performabuilt's Level 1 and Level 2 are worth the price; you get a lot of upgrades for the difference.

While a local "buddy" with e.g. HP Tuners could make those changes, remember it will cost him $100 in "credits" and you should pay him for that. In contrast a pro tuner like LSX_Tuners has paid for an unlimited license and they therefore might not change you much more than $100. Of course you have to send the PCM or at least the tune to them.

Are you considering getting HP Tuners? I see you already have 330+ posts here. It might be time.
I have tuned my trans shift point dozens of times to get it exactly the way I want. Fun stuff, but then I've been a computer nerd since '74.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thx for replies! So if I send my Pcm to say frost they can just tune the shifts without messing with my tune already on there? How will they know where to put line pressure? As for tuning myself I'm gonna pass lol. I'm mechanically inclined when it comes to parts but know nothing about tunning. What else will need to be done tune wise for my yank? Thx
Old 01-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Just so you know, transmission tuning is separate from engine tuning in HPTuners. Trans tunes don't affect the engine tune. You're safe there - totally different areas. The tuner will have access to the stock tune for your transmission and most likely put the stock tune back into the PCM, which is what PerformaBuilt recommends. If you find that the car is idling too slow, that is it wants to stall or does stall easily with the stall converter, then you shoud ask the tuner to set the idle up a hundred revs or so. The trans should be happy with that and so most probably will you be.

If the tuner has the car in his possession, he can make other small adjustments to shifting speeds and pressures and test how the car reacts to the changes. It's common for the tuner to ride with you as a passenger as you drive and make changes that you can immediately feel. He'll tune it to your liking. Something that isn't possible with a mail order tune.

You won't be far off with the mail order tune and it will work for you. Tuner has the car will be the better option but that's your choice.

Chances are good that If you have a Corvette Club in your area one or more members will have HPTuners and will tune the trans for you for the cost of the credits to access your car with his equipment.

Good luck with it!
Old 01-23-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great info to know thx. After the dyno tune I added ls6 intake/volant intake(I know there's mixed feelings on this setup)160 stat and went from mangaflow to sip lm2 catback. When I added the ls6 I researched and most said retune not nessary. Do you think I'd gain say 10hp from a retune with the added mods I listed or just go for the trans tune? If you guys think I'd gain anything noticeable from full tune I'm for it. If not it's not worth the extra $ and I'd just have the tune done for converter. Thx

Last edited by ironmikektm525; 01-23-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:50 AM
Launching!

Those changes do make a difference and I think you could easily gain 10 HP with a full tune. More importantly, the changes affect air/fuel ratios and you could have a lean run condition. If the engine runs too lean you run the risk of burning a hole in a piston and causing real damage. A $500.00 tune would seem like a bargain at that point.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thx again for reply. Has anybody had a frost tune then done a dyno tune to see the real hp difference on a Bolton car? I know every car is different . I've been researching the topic for couple hours now and majority say for full Boltons frost is fine. For bigger mods(h/c) dyno tune way to go. I only came across one thread on a guy who had frost tune then got a dyno tune and picked up 6rwhp. If frost can tune for my converter and get me that close I might consider it? Anybody have frost email tune done just for converter upgrade? Love to hear feedback on that!!
Old 01-24-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Just because an engine makes more power due to various bolt-ons such as a better exhaust, cold intake, etc does not mean it needs a tune. A proper tune will handle much more power.
You need a tune when the power "curve" changes, especially due to a cam change. A change in intake manifold may also benefit from a tune because different intake manifolds have different resonant frequencies which then change the power "curve". A change from an LS1 to an LS6 manifold might not be enough to justify a tune, but you should research that; I'm sure plenty of people have made that change. Similarly adding headers changes the "curve" of the engine. A cat-back system is too far from the engine to change the curve and therefore rarely justifies a re-tune.

Any change to the MAF or the intake tubing within a few inches of it absolutely requires a re-tune. Generally a cold intake is far enough from the MAF that a re-tune is not needed.
If you change injectors, you should not even start the engine before a re-tune, as it may cause damage due an greatly over-rich or over-lean condition.

Finally, when installing a high-stall converter a tune is often needed to prevent the PCM from detecting the extra slippage as a fault and the change in crankshaft dynamics as a misfire. The fault can cause the PCM to enter limp mode and the misfire detection prevents TCC lockup and other problems. The tune disables a few codes and desensitizes the misfire tables.

Also, since all modern engines run closed-loop from the factory, they can basically "auto tune" for up to 20% changes in sensors and "curve".

On the other hand, many cars will benefit from even a mailorder tune because the factory setting are very conservative to allow for very poor gas and unusual conditions. Therefore the factory timing is retarded from ideal and the WOT fuel mix is so rich that you loose some power.

Last edited by mrvedit; 01-24-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thx for all the info guys!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Performa built trans line pressure/tune plz read have to explain :)