Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest and Easiest Transmission Diagnostic Tool

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,217 Likes on 781 Posts

Default Cheapest and Easiest Transmission Diagnostic Tool

Ok, here's my thread on how to have a cheap and easy transmission diagnostic tool. It doesn't require any special skills to perform, and is a great alternative to taking it to a dealer, or finding someone with hp tuners/ efi live, or a tech 2.

This tool can't force solenoids or anything like that, but, it will tell you what's going on with your transmission. So, lets get started.

First, you'll need to purchase a bluetooth obd2 scanner with elm 327 protocol . My favorite is the BAFx tool on amazon as it is priced fairly and WAY higher quality than other brands on amazon or ebay (last I checked this brand only worked with android, sorry iPhone users there are others).

Next, you'll need to download Dash Command app on your smartphone.

Go through the pairing process, and startup instructions on the app.

Next, open the app to the homepage and select "gauges".

2) double tap the background area and select "add gauge"

3)In the PID section, change the first line to your desired parameter you want to view. In our case, the parameter will be transmission related, so scroll down to the bottom and select transmission.

4) most of these options you have to pay for to access in the app. Once you go through the account and payment process, anything with a green dot, you'll have access to.

I like to view what gear the ecm is currently commanding, trans temp and RPM all on the same page with different gauges displaying them. For people that are having issues starting in limp mode, or having slow shifts, you can watch this gauge to see what gear the ecm is commanding the gear shift, and how long it takes to occur from the time commanded, or if it happens at all.

This app can also scan and delete transmission codes, as well as most body codes. I'm in no way related to any of these companies, I just have had great success using this setup and wanted to share with you guys.

I paid $22 for the BAFx tool,
and less than $20 for the app and all add ons I purchased for it.

I'd say less than $50 is a great deal for everything this app can do.

If there's any questions, ask away.
Attached Thumbnails Cheapest and Easiest Transmission Diagnostic Tool-dc-1.png   Cheapest and Easiest Transmission Diagnostic Tool-dc-2.png   Cheapest and Easiest Transmission Diagnostic Tool-dc-3.png   Cheapest and Easiest Transmission Diagnostic Tool-dc-4.png   Cheapest and Easiest Transmission Diagnostic Tool-dc-5.png  

Old 07-11-2016, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Technology is pretty amazing sometimes.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:42 AM
TECH Junkie

I'd also like to mention this is cheaper and easier than most transmission temp gauges.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, that's really cool. I'd love to be able to see my trans temp without having to put in a temp gauge.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:39 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Thank you sharing this excellent info.

Besides this, the other needed diagnostic tool is a pressure gauge.
Search for "ATD 5550" on Amazon; it is only $35 with free Prime shipping. It includes a 6ft hose so that you can hang the gauge from e.g. your outside mirror and read it while driving.
There is no substitute for a pressure gauge - while the PCM might be commanding one pressure, the trans might be generating a completely different pressure due to internal problems.

In short for about $100 you can become a "transmission diagnostician".
Old 07-21-2016, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My BAFx tool arrived. I've downloaded the app and will try out reading my trans temp later. This is so clever to take advantage of the thermometer on the MPS.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

MaroonMonsterLS1, where in the "pid" menu is trans temp? It's not under "temperature" or "transmission". Or at least I can't find it.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

The base app is $10, then the "extended pid list" is another $10. Hence why I said $20 for app with add ons. Either way, you should be able to see the trans temp pid, just not use it unless you have the add on. In mine, it shows up as the first option under temperature.
Attached Thumbnails Cheapest and Easiest Transmission Diagnostic Tool-screenshot_20160722-073147.png  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the BAFX reader over the w/e. I have two other ELM 327's that are supposed to be compatible with ALL OBDII cars, but they dont work on a 02 firebird. The BAFX reader worked the first time I tried it with the Torque lite app.

I will check out the Dash Command app.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Cheapest and Easiest Transmission Diagnostic Tool