Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400 1st gear only works when trans brake engaged

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Th400 1st gear only works when trans brake engaged

I have a built th400 that worked fine before I did a head cam swap. Pulled the car outside yesterday and when I went to pull it inside first gear seemed like it was on the brake (power to the brake was off) I turned the power switch on and hit the button and it moved, shifted into second and third it moved in both gears. Put it on stands and it goes in reverse while in park and only moves in first when I engage the brake. I have checked the cable adjustment and changed the fluid. Any Idea what it may be?
Old 02-17-2017, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost-1
I have a built th400 that worked fine before I did a head cam swap. Pulled the car outside yesterday and when I went to pull it inside first gear seemed like it was on the brake (power to the brake was off) I turned the power switch on and hit the button and it moved, shifted into second and third it moved in both gears. Put it on stands and it goes in reverse while in park and only moves in first when I engage the brake. I have checked the cable adjustment and changed the fluid. Any Idea what it may be?
Wish I had a good idea......but this one is a real stumper.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it seems to not load the engine when in 1st and button pushed. I am having it taken apart next week to see whats up, just in time for the season to get started thanks luck.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost-1
Yeah it seems to not load the engine when in 1st and button pushed. I am having it taken apart next week to see whats up, just in time for the season to get started thanks luck.
Something tells me it's not going to be the internals. Doing a heads cam swap without touching the tranny wouldn't cause the internals to get jacked up. I've been trying to come up with something but this just isnt making any sense. I wonder if the solenoid not fully engaging would do something like this? Just thinking out loud.

Quick Reply: Th400 1st gear only works when trans brake engaged