Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L70E Stator Support Shaft removal from Pump Housing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 03:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 4L70E Stator Support Shaft removal from Pump Housing?

Well guys, I am swapping out the stock Support Shaft for a Sonnax (77918S-09K) with Wider bushings. I have taken out the 3 screws and tried using a press. I am afraid I am going to break the housing, and the shaft has not budged at all. Is there something else holding it in or any techniques to remove it?
Attached Thumbnails 4L70E Stator Support Shaft removal from Pump Housing?-20170227_005817.jpg  
Old 02-27-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Do your best to support the housing and press harder. I have heard of housings breaking; there is no way around that. Heating the housing might help - perhaps the aluminum will expand more that the steel shaft.

Be extra careful pressing the new one in; if the shaft hole catches on the housing guide it will shave metal and prevent the shaft from being absolutely square; which in turn results in fast wear of the bushings.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the reply man. I guess I was being a little easy on it. I put that 20 ton press to work and it popped right out. I made a "jig" out of wood to fully support the housing and to help prevent it from breaking.

I hear you must press these in perfectly straight as you said. I may try to rig up something to aide me in this.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Heat up the housing and freeze the shaft and you can almost press in the shaft with gloved hands. You should be able to align by tapping with a hammer before it is fully seated. If it looks bad, press it out again, heat and cool the parts and try again.

Quick Reply: 4L70E Stator Support Shaft removal from Pump Housing?