Sponsored by:

No 3-4, bad valve body gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No 3-4, bad valve body gasket?

Hello!

So my 98 SS months ago decided that it wouldn't go anywhere when shifted into 3 or 4. Basically, I was driving, hit the gas a little bit and noticed the car was going nowhere. I immediately assumed that 3-4 went out and that I needed a rebuild.

Now as I start tearing things down, I pulled the pan (should've done this first) and I find a piece of the valve body gasket in the pan. I have a feeling the valve body gasket is the problem here. It would go into 3-4 but it would feel like it wouldn't go if i gave it much gas at all, but 1-2 seemed fine.

I think I'm gonna try to install a shift kit with new valve body gaskets, any recommendations or experience with this or things I should do or look for or do you think this isn't my issue at all?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-06-2017, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Pull the valve body and look to see if there is a piece of the gasket missing. I have never seen a gasket come a part once it was installed. I’m not saying it can’t happen, just that I have never seen or heard if it.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ordered the TransGo kit, I will pull it apart once I get it in but yea it's a part of the gasket around the edge, it's definitely from my car but will verify once I get the valve body off.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 07-07-2017, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

That part of the gasket being missing would cause a Accumulator Oil leak & a Harsh 2nd gear. If you have the unit out of the car.......Pull it down & check it out!!!!
Old 07-07-2017, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Transmission is still in the car. I have the pan off of it, but once my kit arrives gonna pull the valve body off, replace what's broken and give it a try. There could be other busted pieces up there that I can't really see. 1-2 wasn't harsh at all, seemed to work fine. I suddenly lost 3-4 without warning, it will shift to those gears but there's no go when I press the gas. Most of my experience I've gotten signs that a transmission was gonna go, this was pretty sudden. Fluid looks good, I don't smell anything bad, I'm hoping for the best. If it does nothing oh well, pull the transmission and have it rebuilt. I was going to buy the shift kit anyhow to have it installed for the rebuild.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pull the 1-2 Accumulator Housing & see if a piece of the gasket is missing......This could be a sloppy service of the EPC or Internal Harness & the tech tore the VB gasket...Then replaced the gasket as fast as possible by cutting that piece out of a new gasket, In fact you could just replace the 1-2 Accumulator part of the gasket if part of it is actually missing.

I'll be around the shop working my car tomorrow & have 100,000 separator plate gaskets if you need.
3401 S. Jones st. Fort Worth TX.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Pull the 1-2 Accumulator Housing & see if a piece of the gasket is missing......This could be a sloppy service of the EPC or Internal Harness & the tech tore the VB gasket...Then replaced the gasket as fast as possible by cutting that piece out of a new gasket, In fact you could just replace the 1-2 Accumulator part of the gasket if part of it is actually missing.

I'll be around the shop working my car tomorrow & have 100,000 separator plate gaskets if you need.
3401 S. Jones st. Fort Worth TX.
This is exactly what they did. I assume this isn't my problem then. I guess I'll have to pull the transmission then.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Time to pull it out.

Quick Reply: No 3-4, bad valve body gasket?