Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0751 code, 1-2 shift solenoid, hitting rev limitter

Old 07-15-2017, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default P0751 code, 1-2 shift solenoid, hitting rev limitter

Hey guys, I finally fixed the trans leak I had. The wiring harness clips on the trans broke so that has been fixed.

After putting the car back together I got this code, P0751, and most people seem to complain about the code but have no mechanical issues. In first gear it takes a bit longer to shift into 2nd during normal driving. Also at WOT, the 1-2 shift simply doesn't happen; it bangs the rev limiter.

Any ideas? I've read that the solenoids rarely go bad. I believe they were all changed when the transmission was rebuilt. I have an SS4000 in it as well.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

You mention "wiring harness" which made me wonder if a wire got broken, but then you mention that the 1->2 shift does happen, which mostly indicates the harness wiring is OK.

What is the end play on the servo? Press on the cover with a crowbar and estimate how much it moves in.

Have you confirmed that the fluid level is correct?

Please confirm that all you did was remove/install the trans to fix a leak and now you have this P0751 code.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
You mention "wiring harness" which made me wonder if a wire got broken, but then you mention that the 1->2 shift does happen, which mostly indicates the harness wiring is OK.

What is the end play on the servo? Press on the cover with a crowbar and estimate how much it moves in.

Have you confirmed that the fluid level is correct?

Please confirm that all you did was remove/install the trans to fix a leak and now you have this P0751 code.
I haven't checked the servo. Is there more instructions on how to properly do this or how far it should move?

The fluid level appears to be correct. I checked it dozens of times since it was hard to read (fluid so clean).

All I have done so far is drop this pan to fix the issue with the wiring harness. I'm contemplating changing the shift solenoids now.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:25 PM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

To check servo endplay:
While holding a small ruler nearby, press on the servo cover with a crowbar.
Estimate how far it moves in.
Spec is 1/16 to 1/8" (.075 to .125). Around 3/16" (.175) 2nd gear will start to slip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0751 code, 1-2 shift solenoid, hitting rev limitter