Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60E oil pan isn't sitting all the way down after rebuild!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60E oil pan isn't sitting all the way down after rebuild!

So long story short, I finally finished assembling the transmission after a lot of pain and bruises, and when I finally sit the pan down, it rocks from side to side and doesn't want to sit flat! I kept checking if there was something in the way but there's none. And I don't see obvious dents in the pan itself. I tried removing the filter to see if it'll sit flat, and it did. I can force the pan down and tight it, but even I know that it'll end up leaking in the future.

I can't figure out what the problem might be, so I took a bunch of pictures to see if anyone here can notice something I've probably missed.

Here's the pan's gap, it's rocking from the opposite corner.

Outside and inside of the pan (no magnet, I know. The previous owner seems to have disliked the magnet and liked ***** instead, as I've extracted 10 or so steel ***** from the transmission!)

Aerial and side view of the filter, it's pushed all the way in

Tried taking pics of gaps between the filter and the valve body. Could be useful, could be not.

What it looks like and underneath the filter and the filter seal

Hope someone can have an idea for what's going on
Old 07-20-2017, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen on a 4l80 I did, it was because the new chepo pan gaskets are too thin compared to the factory reusable ones.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bp m1009
I had this happen on a 4l80 I did, it was because the new chepo pan gaskets are too thin compared to the factory reusable ones.
But the pan gasket I have is a genuine ACDelco one, and the filter too.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:22 PM
Launching!

I'm not positive but usually they sell 2 different ones. The cheap fiber one that you have and the thick plastic w/ rubber impregnated seal one. What style was the one you took off?
Old 07-20-2017, 12:40 PM
Teching In

I'm not an expert at all, but.

Looking at the second and third picture, it looks like that pan has hit the road at least once in it's life, and yet it sits flat without the gasket.

If it sits flat without the gasket, and nothing is blocking the pan, I would have to say it's the gasket.

In your shoes, I would just tighten it up and go with it. I like to to pull the pan in a month or so after a rebuild anyway to clean out all the bits from new bushings, clutches, bearings and hard parts breaking in.

Speaking of all the bits, I would make sure it has a magnet in it to catch them.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bp m1009
I'm not positive but usually they sell 2 different ones. The cheap fiber one that you have and the thick plastic w/ rubber impregnated seal one. What style was the one you took off?
Are you referring to the gasket or the filter? But nevertheless, the old filter looks identical to this one, but the gasket is a bit different (the old one is more like rubber).

But I'm pretty sure that the problem isn't with the gasket. It's either that the filter isn't correct (which I'm pretty sure it is), or that the pan is dented somewhere.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

It is not the gasket and do not just tighten it down and run it.

Make sure the neck of the filter is fully seated, sometimes they can really be tough to get the last 1/4 in. to seat. What filter ( part number ) did you buy ?
Old 07-20-2017, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

It's the pan.....I doesn't take much at all, I have to straighten them out all the time with my Arbor Press.

A new GM pan is $13,
Amazon Amazon
is a '05-'09 pan.....You will have to remove the Dip Stick Stop....The stop is built in this pan.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

All those pretty new parts - harness, pressure switch, etc. deserve a new pan.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
It is not the gasket and do not just tighten it down and run it.

Make sure the neck of the filter is fully seated, sometimes they can really be tough to get the last 1/4 in. to seat. What filter ( part number ) did you buy ?
I pretty much put all of my strength on the filter, so I'm pretty sure it's all the way down. Part #24208576. I think it's the pan as the others suggested.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mrvedit
All those pretty new parts - harness, pressure switch, etc. deserve a new pan.
Exactly. Besides, everything you see there (except the accumulator housing) is either new or salvaged. Old VB was severely damaged in the reverse abuse bore. Will make a thread showing the parts and a video of the transmission's performance later.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by clinebarger
It's the pan.....I doesn't take much at all, I have to straighten them out all the time with my Arbor Press.

A new GM pan is $13, https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-24240...B001O01BNKThis is a '05-'09 pan.....You will have to remove the Dip Stick Stop....The stop is built in this pan.
I don't have a press like that around here, so I guess I'll have to get a new pan. I have a local shop nearby that'll sell me one for dirt cheap. I'll reply here with the results.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i just used a hammer and a block of wood on my ebay truck pan.....worked like a charm !!

and you have the nice pan with a drain plug.....
Old 07-21-2017, 04:22 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

As Clinebarger says, it's the pan and it should be easy to make flat again. I have seen this a lot over the years.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 AM
Launching!

I still don't think its the pan, but we will see. Interested in the findings!
Old 07-25-2017, 04:48 AM
Staging Lane

So as many of you have suspected, turns out the pan was slightly dented from underneath I tried hitting it lightly to even it out, but it would still rock slightly. I went ahead and bought a new pan with a magnet anyway. I also bought a new manual lever position sensor, and 12 quarts of ACDelco ATF.

Transmission will be installed tomorrow, and I'll make a thread on the parts I've used from Dana, and make a video of how the transmission was before biting the dust, when it bit the dust, and after the rebuild.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:31 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

If we have not already talked about it, call me on how to break it in.

Quick Reply: 4l60E oil pan isn't sitting all the way down after rebuild!