Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e check ball question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 4l60e check ball question

This is in reference to another thread I have going on but I pulled the valve body out of my 96 to clean and inspect and here's my question/issue...when I pulled the VB I recovered the 7 cb's that are from the VB....there wasn't 1 above the plate in the case....
When I pulled the valve body apart I found another cb that is probably close to half the size of the others and I'm not sure where this came from or what it may have been for...
Is it an issue or problem that the one in the case by the accumulator isn't there?
Old 08-06-2017, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how different the 96's are compared to 99-00's. I just had mine apart and had 7 in the VB and 1 in the case that came down with the separator plate. There was also another in the case that was held in by a little clip.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Besides the PWM Annular porting on the '01 & later models.....All '96-'08 4L60E Valve Bodies are the functionally same when using the correct separator plate.

Is this smaller ball made of steel?
Old 08-06-2017, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Yes it's steel
Old 08-07-2017, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check to see if it has a Pinless Forward Accumulator Piston, It takes 2 smaller check ***** to plug the Pin hole. See if one is missing.

The builder may have installed a smaller check ball in the case (4th Accumulator) by accident.

The "Captured" ball in the case can cause issues if it blows out & gets hung-up in the L/R clutch.

The 4th Accumulator check ball has never given any issues, All it does is meter Accumulator Oil to keep the piston from slamming against the case.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

I'm assuming you are referring to behind the servo?....I have yet to pull the servo out because I have a corvette one on its way....

If your speaking about the 3-4 under the servo plate it has a pinned piston in it but I found that the passage at the bottom of the bore blocked by a CB so it apears that the 3-4 accumulator is now rendered useless...

The l/r has no checkball in it so it was either removed prior or this is the CB I found in the vb if it fell out....

I aquired another CB to replace the missing one in the case when I put everything back together...( wasn't a bad deal finally the CB, 1-2 accumulator housing,metal piston/pin and correct spring for 5 bucks at a trans shop) so I can at least have that function as it should hopefully
Old 08-08-2017, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Forward Accumulator is in the valve body behind the 3 bolt cover.

The 3rd accumulator captured check ball is bigger than 1/4"....It didn't come from there.

The "free/non-captured" check ball in the case...Above the separator plate is the 4th accumulator check ball. If the 4th accumulator piston is pinned/shimmed to where it doesn't move....The check ball is useless/non functional & the builder may have left it out.

Blocking the piston up or down in it's bore effectively blocks the 4th accumulator from functioning.....So why block the 4th clutch feed in the case & cut lube to the L/R frictions? Make no since to do both.

IIRC the captured ball in the case is also a 1/4" ball so I don't think your errant check ball is from that location.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

Ok I think I figured out where the small(3/16") CB went....it was inside the spring on the forward abuse(torque) valve by the low overrun valve... In the Transgo SK kit it shows it their while in the hd2 kit it doesn't have you pull that valve

Quick Reply: 4l60e check ball question