Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What needs to be done to a 4l60e that will hold 800hp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

If you want overdrive just get a 4l80 and don't look back.

Or a T400 with gear vendors if you have the $$$

If a shop is offering a 1000hp 4l60e with 1 year warranty, and they will remove and repair as required.. I guess you can try it.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Launch
If you want overdrive just get a 4l80 and don't look back.

Or a T400 with gear vendors if you have the $$$

If a shop is offering a 1000hp 4l60e with 1 year warranty, and they will remove and repair as required.. I guess you can try it.
I literally laughed at the "remove" part, not saying that there aren't any shops that do full service as part of the warranty..... just extremely rare.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
I literally laughed at the "remove" part, not saying that there aren't any shops that do full service as part of the warranty..... just extremely rare.
Yeah I know that's why I said it.

I have a full manual T400 and love it and don't care about the extra highway rpm's.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@performabuilt

I'm surprised the owner of that transmission would go for the level 3 black 4l60e but get a no name torque converter.

And, on your webpage for the level 3 4l60e this sentence on the right side of the page

"Level 3 is not enough you think ? Well give us a call about the level 3 black edition or you can see more details of it here"

The 'here' goes to a dead link.

The tear down was fun to watch.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run the 4l60E for 3 seasons from RPM level 10 trans. 4000 Circle D converter. I shock mine pretty hard at 300 hit out of the hole with no problems yet.

The trans and parts are coming around as more places start to offer aftermarket stuff for them.
Ex: yep Turbo 400 is killer even with just a shift kit, Glides where a joke back in the 70's and even the early 80"s but now with all the aftermarket support for them a lowly cal glide is now King. So yes it's possible with a 4l60E but it's not cheap yet.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Damn dude, you are sick of turbos.... and you're a proponent of paying for what can be done yourself, if you took the time to study up and ask questions. Sad. And if you believe that it can only be "done right" by having a shop do the build..... that's even more sad. I feel that we should encourage, and help each other to do everything we can.... and keep it out of the hands of other people/shops. Just an opinion.
Does your local community college offer an reading comprehension classes? Because yours is..... sad. Might be a cost effective way of improving it. Just an opinion.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Does your local community college offer an reading comprehension classes? Because yours is..... sad. Might be a cost effective way of improving it. Just an opinion.
Dunno dude, but I hear that the local college loves turbos. And they also use the word "an" at the correct time. Brush up on your grammar before trying to go scholastic would be my advice.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

God I hate seeing stuff like this. So why isn't it realistic for this man to build his own transmission, and it live?? Let me guess, it will only live if he pays a shop to build it for him?
""

No the issue is that the build is more than parts , Each vendor including us have our own tricks of the trade VB mods, Clearances etc. these are the things that make or break the build parts are just part of the equation .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-01-2017, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by performabuilt
""

No the issue is that the build is more than parts , Each vendor including us have our own tricks of the trade VB mods, Clearances etc. these are the things that make or break the build parts are just part of the equation .
I understand this, but the fact is.... there's only so much to a transmission. And if you search hard enough (thanks google) or ask enough questions, you can acquire the info to build a solid transmission. Or anything else for that matter.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I understand this, but the fact is.... there's only so much to a transmission. And if you search hard enough (thanks google) or ask enough questions, you can acquire the info to build a solid transmission. Or anything else for that matter.
I just rebuilt mine (2x) in fact in a month. I was a first time builder. I didn't buy all the high end ****, but did a pretty comprehensive build. Yeah sure, you can ask the guy your buying parts from, and google. I spent countless hours getting all my info together. Yep, clearances. There are quite a variance on setting clearances, on several different spots/setups in the trans, so, do you error on the tight side, or loose side? Do you just split the difference? If tight, do you run less pressure, say, a smaller boost valve?

In the valve body, just with a HD-2 kit, do you run a Sonnax valve, or the one that comes with the kit, and why? You know they will shift totally different right? Then, what springs do you want to run, and hole sizes?

My point is, there are a ENDLESS number of variables. As a first time builder, I can say this:

I had a forward sprag roll withing 2 weeks, trashed everything. 2nd go around,
my 1-2 shift is good in D, but now my 2-3 seems "soft". I changed NOTHING that should have affected that, but yet, here I am with that.

I BELIEVE with all my heart, everyone can do ANYTHING they set their mind to. Hence, why I have always done, what most people tell me I can't. BUT, being realistic, a first time builder, doing a 1000HP 4L65E, is not financially a feasible endevour. At 1000HP, it WILL need to come out every year to be freshened up, so it doesn't "explode" causing irreparable damage to the "expensive" hard parts.

My point is like I have always said:
"You don't know, what you don't know"
Like where a snap ring has to be clocked, or all the "little things" you CANT find on the internet, or in a "basic" rebuild book/DVD.
JMHO
Old 09-03-2017, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Well said rpturbo. The 4L60E is not a turbo 400, this trans is way more complex.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rpturbo
I just rebuilt mine (2x) in fact in a month. I was a first time builder. I didn't buy all the high end ****, but did a pretty comprehensive build. Yeah sure, you can ask the guy your buying parts from, and google. I spent countless hours getting all my info together. Yep, clearances. There are quite a variance on setting clearances, on several different spots/setups in the trans, so, do you error on the tight side, or loose side? Do you just split the difference? If tight, do you run less pressure, say, a smaller boost valve?

In the valve body, just with a HD-2 kit, do you run a Sonnax valve, or the one that comes with the kit, and why? You know they will shift totally different right? Then, what springs do you want to run, and hole sizes?

My point is, there are a ENDLESS number of variables. As a first time builder, I can say this:

I had a forward sprag roll withing 2 weeks, trashed everything. 2nd go around,
my 1-2 shift is good in D, but now my 2-3 seems "soft". I changed NOTHING that should have affected that, but yet, here I am with that.

I BELIEVE with all my heart, everyone can do ANYTHING they set their mind to. Hence, why I have always done, what most people tell me I can't. BUT, being realistic, a first time builder, doing a 1000HP 4L65E, is not financially a feasible endevour. At 1000HP, it WILL need to come out every year to be freshened up, so it doesn't "explode" causing irreparable damage to the "expensive" hard parts.

My point is like I have always said:
"You don't know, what you don't know"
Like where a snap ring has to be clocked, or all the "little things" you CANT find on the internet, or in a "basic" rebuild book/DVD.
JMHO
Do it till it's right. Once you understand where you went wrong, you're still money ahead by not paying a shops employees salary...benefit packages, and various other expenses they have. Plus you will have the knowledge to build transmissions in the future for yourself, and make side money if you wanted. Knowledge is money. But with that said, I can appreciate where you are coming from.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I am of course not saying NO ONE can build it themselves and it hold up of course they can but the real question comes when you ask can they afford to fail? I built my first trans at 16 I am 53 now and I then spent years of fixing screwing it up learning trying again and again till I got what I now know works and is proven. Now do I want to discourage someone from try certainly not , But I also want them to understand what they are getting into, Is this a daily driver ? Is it your only transportation, What's you budget time and money wise. Many things must be considered.
So can someone do their own Sure can they afford to well that's another question with all the variables I mention, I have seen more failures than successes on a fist time build. Did some eventually get it right sure but at what cost? I am always around to give any advice I can to anyone I have proven that here for years not just in selling trans but answering 1000s of questions and posting many tech articles, Tips etc many of which I wrote.
But fact is many people do not have all the time, Patience and Money to just do it till it works.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-27-2022, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
Step 1: remove 4l60e

Step 2: sell 4l60e

Step 3: buy 4l80e and necessary conversion parts.
Step 4: install 4l80e

Step 5: enjoy not worrying about your trans anymore
Now try that with a 4WD & transfer case and 8 inches of ground clearance... you make it sound so easy. How much to do the job?
Old 03-27-2022, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by matermark
Now try that with a 4WD & transfer case and 8 inches of ground clearance... you make it sound so easy. How much to do the job?
I completely forgot about this 5 year old thread. But yea, 4l60e......dumpster.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 249 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by matermark
Really, man?
Old 03-27-2022, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

as he says on a site with 99.99999999% 2wd content. 5 years after the fact.

Old 03-28-2022, 01:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by theunderlord
as he says on a site with 99.99999999% 2wd content. 5 years after the fact.
While I may be the only one here with an XUV; I am sure I am not the only one here who has a 4wd or awd vehicle. Oh by the way I pretty much just post here on the transmission forum which is irrelevant if I own a F-body or not.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to be doing my first transmission swap in a week. Putting in a mild stage 2 4l60e and a 3200 Tc from Fti. I'm wanting to rebuild my stock 4l60e nothing wrong with it so a good start point and use it as a learning tool. In other words going to be a hobby thing. Is there any complete kits out there or rebuild recipes that are reliable. I'm only making 420/422 hp/tq atm eventually that will probably creep up so I'm thinking to build the stock one up for the next power jump. Any advice links recommendations welcome.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Start at the Stickies in the transmission section here, there are lots of builds of 4l60e/4l65e here... after reading many, many pages, you'll see what's common in them all and take notes, because they hate hearing questions that have already been asked. The Search feature is your friend... though you may never find what you're looking for if you don't word your search properly... or you may find it in an old thread and asking things in old threads is discouraged. Otherwise, there are some brilliant minds here!

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
vorteciroc (08-02-2022)

Quick Reply: What needs to be done to a 4l60e that will hold 800hp?