Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E high pitched noise, almost police siren-like

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E high pitched noise, almost police siren-like

So, on my 2000 Z28 I just did a rear end gear change from the stock 2.73's to a 3.42 gear set.

After the swap and the first road test to see if the gears were making any noise we kept on looking around every single time I came to a stop sign looking for a police car or an ambulance as we heard a siren in the distance. We never saw any emergency vehicle but whenever we'd come to a stop we'd hear it.

Not putting 1 and 1 together we finally determined that it was the trans making the siren like sound on deceleration as it we always heard it while coming to a stop and the rear gears don't spin fast enough to make a pitch that high in frequency. so we suspect its the planetary gears singing now that everything in the driveline is spinning faster.

Has any one else come across this on their 4L60E after a gear change? The trans runs fine and doesn't sound bad but the high pitch sound is just strange. My dad has 50+ years experience as a mechanic and he's never heard a trans make a noise like this before. I don't think there is anything wrong but I'm not finding any information on this so I figured I'd pick some brains here on if it's something someone has come across before.

Quick Reply: 4L60E high pitched noise, almost police siren-like