Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I add a shift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I add a shift kit?

As the title says I’m debating on adding a shift kit to my car. It’s a completely stock 4l60 and so far hasn’t had a single sign of slipping or anything. (Knock on wood). I had the trans tuned when I tuned my car and the tuner made the shift points a lot more firm so I can definitely feel it when it shift it even shifts pretty hard at half throttle. Kinda up in the air on getting a shift kit I don’t need know if it’ll be worth it or not? Also if I do install one will I have to go back to my tuner to get the transmission retuned?
Old 07-21-2018, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by LS_Power
Also if I do install one will I have to go back to my tuner to get the transmission retuned?
Yes, if you install the boost valve that is included in the shift kit you will have to retune it. You tuner most likely raised your line pressure when it was tuned. If you add a boost valve on top of the tune your line pressure will be way too high and possibly break parts, (input drum 3-4 snap ring). If you are happy with the way it shifts I would leave well enough along.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbond105
Yes, if you install the boost valve that is included in the shift kit you will have to retune it. You tuner most likely raised your line pressure when it was tuned. If you add a boost valve on top of the tune your line pressure will be way too high and possibly break parts, (input drum 3-4 snap ring). If you are happy with the way it shifts I would leave well enough along.
I do like the way it shifts now I just didn’t know if a shift kit will add some life onto the transmission some

Quick Reply: Should I add a shift kit?